How to return under "Old Rules" ??

Old Nov 5th 2015, 8:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to return under "Old Rules" ??

Originally Posted by dgpondhoppper
Hi
You are probably correct, I am not an expert but I do know that the rules in Quebec then and now are different to the rest of Canada. they were offered the choice by the Quebec government but they were told they would only be allowed to vote if the chose Canadian citizenship. they and many others made the same choice. ie CAN
The transitional arrangements put in place by the 1946 Act meant that anyone who would have been a Canadian citizen had they been born after its commencement would be a Canadian citizen at its commencement. So your parents-in-law would have become Canadian citizens on 1 January 1947 whether they wanted to or not. I'm not aware of the rules concerning citizenship differing for Quebec.

When I read the wiki article you refer to it states that between 1947 and 1977 that people born in Canada would have Canadian citizenship but her parents were born in 1920s and never received CAN citizenship until the choice was offered in 1977.
so that would make my wife the daughter of a British subject , born in 1953? is that too easy ?
Being a British subject after 1949 wasn't much use. It was your new citizenship that defined your nationality, i.e. Canadian, British (CUKC), Australian, New Zealander, South African, etc..