Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

How Long Does the Application for a Residence Card Take to Process?

How Long Does the Application for a Residence Card Take to Process?

Old Feb 10th 2019, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

thombent9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How Long Does the Application for a Residence Card Take to Process?

I am the spouse of an EEA national currently living in the UK. She is Danish. I was issued a UK Family Permit in November, 2018. It expires in May. My plan is to apply for a residence card soon. How long does the application process for a residence card take? Also, if I submit my passport with the application, as requested and then I need it for travel, what do I do? Can anyone please help?
Old Feb 10th 2019, 9:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Long Does the Application for a Residence Card Take to Process?

Forget about a EEA residence card. It’ll be null and void come the 29 of March. You both should be applying for EU pre-settled/settled status.

https://www.gov.uk/eusettledstatus
Old Apr 1st 2019, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Forget about a EEA residence card. It’ll be null and void come the 29 of March. You both should be applying for EU pre-settled/settled status.

https://www.gov.uk/eusettledstatus
Thanks so much for your help.
What's the difference between the residence card and the pre-settled/settled status? My wife is Danish. I am from Ghana. We have been both living and working in the UK since October/November 2018. I am here on a UK Family Permit which expires in May.
Also, how long does the pre-settled/settled status application take to process?
Old Apr 1st 2019, 10:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thombent9
Thanks so much for your help.
What's the difference between the residence card and the pre-settled/settled status? My wife is Danish. I am from Ghana. We have been both living and working in the UK since October/November 2018. I am here on a UK Family Permit which expires in May.
Also, how long does the pre-settled/settled status application take to process?
You won’t achieve settled status until you’ve been in the UK for five years. If you have been working and have a National Insurance Number then you can apply for pre-settled status online. During the pilot phrase this was taking less than 24 hours to process.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Thank you again for your help. One more question: according to Gov.UK if I am successful with the pre-settled status application I will receive a document because I am not an EU citizen and I don't already have a biometric residence card. Do you know what kind of document it is?
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by thombent9
Thank you again for your help. One more question: according to Gov.UK if I am successful with the pre-settled status application I will receive a document because I am not an EU citizen and I don't already have a biometric residence card. Do you know what kind of document it is?
I’m not sure that you will. Do you have a link to where you are reading that?
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I’m not sure that you will. Do you have a link to where you are reading that?
https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu...-youve-applied

After you've applied

If your application is successful, you’ll be given either settled or pre-settled status. Find out what rights you get for each status.

Viewing and proving your status

If you successfully apply, the Home Office will email you a link to an online service that you can use to view and prove your status.

You will not get a physical document unless both of the following apply:You can read more information about how to view and prove your status.

What are your thoughts on this?