Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

how long do I need to be working for before we apply for the spouse visa?

how long do I need to be working for before we apply for the spouse visa?

Old Jun 28th 2018, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

gizemtogus is an unknown quantity at this point
Question how long do I need to be working for before we apply for the spouse visa?

Hello everyone

First of all I love this site and find it so helpful but I still have mind numbing questions and would really appreciate any help.

I have been living in Turkey for a while I'm married to a Turkish man and have baby . After having my child I decided to move back to the UK as the education system in Turkey is really not my cup of tea. Our plan is I come before him and hopefully find a job and after sometime apply for a council house. (I am aware of the annual income I have to earn to apply for the visa, hopefully I get a job that covers these cost)
My question is for how long do I need to be working for before we apply for the spouse visa?
On some forums it says 6 months and on some 12 months. on the gov.uk website which states you need to complete appendix 2 it asks these questions which just makes me go HUH!
''3.20 What was your sponsor’s total income (before tax) from salaried employment in the 12 months prior to the application?
3.22 If your sponsor has not been employed by the same employer for 6 months prior to the application does their total income (before tax) from salaried employment received in the 12 months prior to your application meet or exceed the financial requirement you must meet? >> Yes No
Just the whole appendix actually really confuses me.
Another really important question, I read that the spouse coming over has to have a job lined up? Is this true, do they need to work as soon as they come and do they also need to be earning over a certain amount?

Thank you so much xxx
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
VAF4A-Appendix2.pdf (168.0 KB, 104 views)
Old Jun 28th 2018, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

PhilFromTheFuture has a reputation beyond reputePhilFromTheFuture has a reputation beyond reputePhilFromTheFuture has a reputation beyond reputePhilFromTheFuture has a reputation beyond reputePhilFromTheFuture has a reputation beyond reputePhilFromTheFuture has a reputation beyond reputePhilFromTheFuture has a reputation beyond reputePhilFromTheFuture has a reputation beyond reputePhilFromTheFuture has a reputation beyond reputePhilFromTheFuture has a reputation beyond reputePhilFromTheFuture has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long do I need to be working for before we apply for the spouse visa?

The answers to your questions depend on your current situation.

Do you currently work in Turkey? If so, how long have you had your job and how much do you earn?

If you don’t currently work in Turkey, or you do but you don’t meet the financial requirement, then you can move back to the UK and work for 6 months (earring over the minimum of £18,600 gross per year). You can then use that employment to apply.

If however, you already work in Turkey and earn over the required amount, and have a job lined in the UK starting soon, then you can apply straight away. However this isn’t my domain of expertise, so someone else will come along and help!
Old Jun 29th 2018, 5:22 am
Just Joined

Default Re: how long do I need to be working for before we apply for the spouse visa?

Hiya thank you for your reply.

Well I havent been working this year as I had a baby, but will start in August. I’m planning on working for another year to save some money before we move. my anum income is way below the requirement when converted to pounds. (Turkish money is worthless)
So it looks like I’ll need to work for atleast 6 months before applying for the visa.
Thank you
Old Jun 29th 2018, 6:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gizemtogus
Another really important question, I read that the spouse coming over has to have a job lined up? Is this true, do they need to work as soon as they come and do they also need to be earning over a certain amount?
No, for the financial requirements category you'll be using you don't need to have a job lined up prior to returning to the UK, nor do you need to find a job within any specific period of time. What you will need to do before your husband can apply for a spouse visa is be working for a minimum of 6 months in a job that pays £18,600 or more per annum.

I'm assuming you can apply for a British passport for your baby? She/he will need to have that prior to entering the UK, so you might want to apply for that now if you haven't already.

Couple of other things that you may/may not be aware of - your husband can't apply for his spouse visa from within the UK, and as you'll be earning at least £18,600 I'm not sure you'd qualify for a Council house. One of the conditions of your husband's spouse visa will be no access to public funds for 5 years, although there are some benefits that you as a UK citizen can apply for in your own name. Would be worth checking out as part of your plans.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 7:02 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
No, for the financial requirements category you'll be using you don't need to have a job lined up prior to returning to the UK, nor do you need to find a job within any specific period of time. What you will need to do before your husband can apply for a spouse visa is be working for a minimum of 6 months in a job that pays £18,600 or more per annum.

I'm assuming you can apply for a British passport for your baby? She/he will need to have that prior to entering the UK, so you might want to apply for that now if you haven't already.

Couple of other things that you may/may not be aware of - your husband can't apply for his spouse visa from within the UK, and as you'll be earning at least £18,600 I'm not sure you'd qualify for a Council house. One of the conditions of your husband's spouse visa will be no access to public funds for 5 years, although there are some benefits that you as a UK citizen can apply for in your own name. Would be worth checking out as part of your plans.
I agree about the council house statement, and also before being considered you usually have to have a couple of years living within the area. Council houses in the UK afe like hens teeth, Maggie Thatcher did for them when she introduced a 'Right to Buy', somethiong like 80% of the council housing stock disappeared at a stroke, and with the current austerity councils do not have the money to build new ones.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your replies it really means a lot.

My my little girl is a British citizen, she was resistered as soon as she was born.

Regarding the council house, my first step is to move back to my parents house and after some time apply for housing. As far as I am aware I have that right as a British citizen. I also know that after living abroad you can’t claim anything for atleast 3 months. I know there’s a really long waiting list especially where I’m from London (Redbridge). I didn’t assume a council house would be a problem for my husband. I’ve read a few people bringing over their spouse while they’re living in council houses. Again I don’t know if there is a rule for this I just assumed it would be ok as long I was earning the minimum anum.

I have also read that you can live with your family members in a council house as long as your are following the rules and not overcrowding.

This is all what I’ve read and based on some research if you guys know anything please do share.

When I do apply for my husbands visa I doubt I’ll be in a council house but for arguments sake let’s say I was, would this be a problem?