Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Hoping to move back to the UK with American Husband and Son

Hoping to move back to the UK with American Husband and Son

Old Aug 18th 2015, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

cgmol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping to move back to the UK with American Husband and Son

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone on here can help or advise me.

I am a UK citizen and have recently also become a US citizen. My husband is American and together we have a 2 year old son who was born in the states and holds both a UK & US passport.

We are currently living in the US and want to move back to Scotland to be with family.

My husband works for a company who initially were going to sponsor him to work remotely from Scotland. Now having a new boss who is not keen on remote working, he will not sponsor a move to the north of Scotland but will sponsor a move to their London office.

I am a stay at home mum so as the UK citizen, I am not earning. My husband has the only salary and makes $75K a year.

We are frustrated as the avenue that we were going to take, is now not available to us.

Is there any other avenue that would work for us? taking into consideration that as the UK citizen I am not currently working.

Thanks so much
Old Aug 18th 2015, 8:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to move back to the UK with American Husband and Son

Hello and welcome to BE.

If you're not working then the other option would be savings - unlike a salaried income these can be yours, your husband's or joint. To meet the financial requirements through cash savings alone you would need £62500. If you own a property in the United States which you will be selling before moving to the UK then you could also use the proceeds from the sale.

If the spousal visa route isn't open to you, does your husband have any recent British, Irish or other European ancestry? If so he may be eligible for an ancestry visa or another passport that would allow him to work in the UK. Generally speaking would be much cheaper and easier than going down the spousal visa route especially if your husband intends to work on a full time basis in the UK for at least the next five years.

The other option would be for your husband's employer to sponsor him for a Tier 2 work visa. You say your husband's new boss isn't willing to do that unless your husband works in the London office as opposed to remotely from Scotland. Will your husband be allowed to work from Scotland if he arranges his own visa or is that not an option at all now?
Old Aug 19th 2015, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to move back to the UK with American Husband and Son

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Hello and welcome to BE.

The other option would be for your husband's employer to sponsor him for a Tier 2 work visa. You say your husband's new boss isn't willing to do that unless your husband works in the London office as opposed to remotely from Scotland. Will your husband be allowed to work from Scotland if he arranges his own visa or is that not an option at all now?
If you end up going down this route, make sure to negotiate and get a relocation, & London-weighted salary package.