Home after 11 years.

Old Nov 11th 2012, 1:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home after 11 years.

Originally Posted by nun
I've been in the US so long that I take a very liberal attitude towards speech. So unless you are encouraging people to commit crimes or shouting fire in a theatre when there is no fire I feel that all speech should be allowed. As an example IMHO John Terry should never have been charged with anything. His case came out right in the end...no crime, but the FA and his club punished him. But that the police were even involved worries me. This is an area where I've become far more American than European.
I don't think Terry's penalty from the FA had anything to do with freedom of speech. I think they penalised him because he is such a monumental pratt.

Having said that, just lately, accusations of "abuse" and "racist abuse" seem to be bandied about very liberally. There's amost a national obsession that trivialises real cases of abuse.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 1:34 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
[B]

I do agree with you about free speech - shocks me how easily people can be arrested here just for saying something distasteful - but unless you plan to say similar things (and based on your posts I know you don't) I don't see why that would stop you moving here.
I'm not Jewish, but I like to think I wouldn't have moved to Germany in 1938. OK so that's an extreme way to argue that even if we don't say nasty, stupid, or racist things we should be concerned when anyone's speech is restricted. I'm not a fan of the Daily Mail, John Terry or Nick Griffin, but I'd protect their right to say what they like to protect my right to do the same.

It's not at the level that would stop me moving back to the UK, but it worries me.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 1:37 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I don't think Terry's penalty from the FA had anything to do with freedom of speech. I think they penalised him because he is such a monumental pratt.
I agree with your sentiments towards John Terry. The FA and Chelsea were right to punish him. The involvement of the police and the court case brought against him are the free speech aspect.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 3:37 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just a bit confused about why this worries you to be honest ? I have never felt in the least bit worried about my freedom of speech but I dont ever feel the need to say something that could even remotely get me into trouble.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 3:52 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I've been in the US so long that I take a very liberal attitude towards speech. So unless you are encouraging people to commit crimes or shouting fire in a theatre when there is no fire I feel that all speech should be allowed. As an example IMHO John Terry should never have been charged with anything. His case came out right in the end...no crime, but the FA and his club punished him. But that the police were even involved worries me. This is an area where I've become far more American than European.
Terry got what he deserved. You just don't go around saying whatever you want. Just like I don't agree that Westboro Baptist Church should have the right to picket funerals. Free speech my arse...words can be dangerous, people need protection against incitement of hatred and persecution by individuals who don't give a rat's arsehole about who they hurt.

Think about this: Charles Manson is in jail even though he didn't physically commit murder. Words...just words. Then there was that Adolf Hitler chap. He didn't coerce the German people by violence? Just words.

Last edited by Ethelred_the_Unready; Nov 11th 2012 at 3:54 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 4:21 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Manson is rightly in gaol because he used his words to convince and brainwash others into committing crimes. Insulting someone should not be a crime.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 4:24 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Manson is rightly in gaol because he used his words to convince and brainwash others into committing crimes. Insulting someone should not be a crime.
But it was just words though as many who blindly defend completely free speech say. Do you think that picketing a soldiers funeral is acceptable and is just merely "insulting" someone? I disagree.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 4:31 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Manson is rightly in gaol because he used his words to convince and brainwash others into committing crimes. There should not be absolute freedom to say anything in any circumstance, but insulting someone should not be a crime. I believe that a healthy society is one where we can hear and see the idiots who need to insult others and let them make fools of themselves.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 4:35 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
But it was just words though as many who blindly defend completely free speech say. Do you think that picketing a soldiers funeral is acceptable and is just merely "insulting" someone? I disagree.
It's a highly objectionable thing that they do and the courts have mandated that they stay a certain distance from the funerals to spare the feelings of the mourners. But they should be allowed to be idiots and fools because one persons foolishness is another's belief.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 4:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by nun
Manson is rightly in gaol because he used his words to convince and brainwash others into committing crimes. There should not be absolute freedom to say anything in any circumstance, but insulting someone should not be a crime. I believe that a healthy society is one where we can hear and see the idiots who need to insult others and let them make fools of themselves.
But in the case of Westboro? Their right to picket was upheld by the Supreme Court. Granted, I get it, but I vehemently disagree with the decision. What about the rights of mourning families to bury their dead in peace and with dignity?
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I'll be retiring to the UK in a few years....but I'm a bit worried at the "Daily Mail" attitudes towards immigrants that seem to be gaining ground and the witch hunt atmosphere that the "politically correct" promote that IMHO impinge on free speech....however distasteful that might be.
You're right to be concerned. Whether your concerns will manifest into something more serious only time will tell.

You only have to look at the 'Golden Dawn' movement in Greece to realise that it's a fragile path that many countries are walking at the moment. To label it as a 'Daily Mail' attitude is to dismiss it as being irrelevant. It's not, there is a genuine growing and real concern that goes beyond the Daily Mail circulation.

I don't condone those 'attitudes', but they are certainly there and to dismiss them as just being Daily Mail sensationalism is a head in the sand approach to tackling the problem.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 11:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
You're right to be concerned. Whether your concerns will manifest into something more serious only time will tell.

You only have to look at the 'Golden Dawn' movement in Greece to realise that it's a fragile path that many countries are walking at the moment. To label it as a 'Daily Mail' attitude is to dismiss it as being irrelevant. It's not, there is a genuine growing and real concern that goes beyond the Daily Mail circulation.

I don't condone those 'attitudes', but they are certainly there and to dismiss them as just being Daily Mail sensationalism is a head in the sand approach to tackling the problem.
No Bud it really is sensationalism. Greece is tragic right now, but that is largely due to decades of gross economic mismanagement, way way beyond what the worst British government could do. Tax evasion was rife in Greece, you cannot say that about Blighty. We do need to control immigration, agreed, but I don't think invoking Greece is valid.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
No Bud it really is sensationalism. Greece is tragic right now, but that is largely due to decades of gross economic mismanagement, way way beyond what the worst British government could do. Tax evasion was rife in Greece, you cannot say that about Blighty. We do need to control immigration, agreed, but I don't think invoking Greece is valid.
I disagree. It's a festering boil that needs to be lanced, for sure. If its sensationalism, it's been sensationalism for over a decade, probably longer and IT IS growing. Sure, there are differences between Greece and the UK, the rise in popularity in Golden Dawn is primarily down to a drop in living standards in Greece. When living standards drop people, rightly or wrongly, look for a scapegoat, that's not sensationalism, that's reality. Will there be a straw that breaks the( UK )camels back? Probably not, but to put it all down to sensationalism is naive.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 1:08 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser

I don't take the Daily Mail's stories seriously, but that so many people are willing to believe them is the real worry. It's a tone that I see creeping into main stream opinion and politics in policies like the new UK citizen married to non-EEA spouse immigration policy
Old Nov 12th 2012, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
I don't take the Daily Mail's stories seriously, but that so many people are willing to believe them is the real worry. It's a tone that I see creeping into main stream opinion and politics in policies like the new UK citizen married to non-EEA spouse immigration policy
Indeed, the Daily Mail is a powerful media, I believe, with the largest circulation and readership within the UK, covering the whole spectrum of social bands. So who do we believe? By virtue of the terminology, a headline is sensationalism. Therefore one has to dig deeper, read a cross section of material, read the articles, read the comments and try and collate an informed opinion.

Yes there is, as you say, "an attitude towards immigrants," however, it is not solely a domain of the Daily Mail and its readership. It is a growing and worrying trend and you're right to express your concerns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.