Graduating in the summer

Old Dec 23rd 2014, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

sallyface123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Graduating in the summer

Hi all, I need help on clearing up some confusion.

Both myself and my American girlfriend are due to graduate in June and we're both hoping to stay together here in the UK. We've been living together for three years now and have been in a relationship for four. Her student visa runs out in July or so, so we're hoping to start applying for another visa so she can stay here in the UK with me and hopefully get a job sorted by the time she graduates.

As far as I'm aware, I think the best visa would be to get an unmarried partner visa. From what I can see, we satisfy all the requirements apart from the earnings in which apparently I need to be earning at least £18,600 per annum or have savings. Since I won't be working until after I graduate, will this pose a problem with the application? Do I need to be earning this amount for a certain amount of time? Especially since I'll only be earning for a maximum for a month, I'm worried this may pose a difficulty in the application. There is also no guarantee that I'll be earning this amount either. She is however due to be receiving an inheritance of at least £300,000 which could be put into savings. Would this boost her chances of being accepted since it could last us until at least I get a job?

Thanks.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 10:23 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Graduating in the summer

Cash savings in her, yours or both your names can be used partly or wholly to fulfil the financial requirements. If used wholly then she would need £62,500. Providing she receives her inheritance by the time you apply for her partner visa then she should qualify.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

She needs to have held the 62,500 for a minimum of 6 months without it being touched at the time of the application.

Just in case the inheritance does not come through, then, not earning the 18,600 per annum, would mean your application would definitely be refused.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 11:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
She needs to have held the 62,500 for a minimum of 6 months without it being touched at the time of the application.

Just in case the inheritance does not come through, then, not earning the 18,600 per annum, would mean your application would definitely be refused.
I really ought to stop replying to posts late at night :P

Yes, my mistake, the money would need to be held for at least six months. So if the inheritance arrives in early January then not a problem. If not then the OP's partner would need to return to the US until such time she has held it for six months or more and then apply.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I really ought to stop replying to posts late at night :P

Yes, my mistake, the money would need to be held for at least six months. So if the inheritance arrives in early January then not a problem. If not then the OP's partner would need to return to the US until such time she has held it for six months or more and then apply.
Sorry, was not implying you had made a mistake..... just wanted to add this additional info regarding the money.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 7:30 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyface123
Hi all, I need help on clearing up some confusion.

Both myself and my American girlfriend are due to graduate in June and we're both hoping to stay together here in the UK. We've been living together for three years now and have been in a relationship for four. Her student visa runs out in July or so, so we're hoping to start applying for another visa so she can stay here in the UK with me and hopefully get a job sorted by the time she graduates.

As far as I'm aware, I think the best visa would be to get an unmarried partner visa. From what I can see, we satisfy all the requirements apart from the earnings in which apparently I need to be earning at least £18,600 per annum or have savings. Since I won't be working until after I graduate, will this pose a problem with the application? Do I need to be earning this amount for a certain amount of time? Especially since I'll only be earning for a maximum for a month, I'm worried this may pose a difficulty in the application. There is also no guarantee that I'll be earning this amount either. She is however due to be receiving an inheritance of at least £300,000 which could be put into savings. Would this boost her chances of being accepted since it could last us until at least I get a job?

Thanks.
Can she apply for a tier2 visa for graduates?