Good Character/Biometrics/Ceremonies

Old Jun 10th 2015, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

tarnalcock is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Good Character/Biometrics/Ceremonies

Hi There,

I am planning to apply under the newly implemented rules in section 65 of the 1981 immigration act. I am currently a citizen of, and am residing in, South Africa.

However I have a few questions as mentioned in the subject line. As follows;
  1. Good Character
    I have an upcoming court date (in South Africa) for driving under the influence of alcohol. However I am fairly certain that the case will not result in a conviction as the evidence is negligible (many technicalities, will not go into detail).
    • If the case does not result in a conviction (ie. I don't get a criminal record), must I still declare it somehow? Or will it be considered moot?
    • If I can procure a Police Clearance Certificate issued by my local police station, stating that I do not have a criminal record, will this be sufficient proof of good character?
    • My local referee is in fact a policeman whom I have known for many years so this should also count in my favor?
  2. Biometrics
    The Guide (attached) states that I need to enroll for biometrics.
    • I assume this will be arranged after I have applied and I will most likely have to go do so at my nearest embassy? Is this a correct assumption?
    • The linked guide regarding Biometric Residence Permits is not really helpful as I doubt I could apply for such prior to having a passport issued/being registered?
  3. Citizenship Ceremony
    The same guide states "If your application is successful and you are living in the UK, you will be invited to attend a citizenship ceremony."
    • What does this mean for me, in South Africa? Will I still need to do a ceremony, and pay the fee (80GBP)?
    • I cannot find any links online regarding doing so, in South Africa or elsewhere (outside the UK).
Also, would you guys recommend using an agency to do my application? I know how to read and write , so would like to cut costs where I can, but I can see the appeal - considering all of these questions I cannot answer myself..

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Guide_UKF_-_March_2015.pdf (227.9 KB, 1722 views)
Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good Character/Biometrics/Ceremonies

Simply be honest when completing the application form. If you have been convicted of a crime then you need to declare it. If you have no convictions then you have nothing to declare. Q2.13 asks whether you have been tried in court for a criminal charge. If your application is submitted after your court hearing then you should answer yes whether you are acquitted or not. It is always better to tell the truth then try and hide anything as your application will definitely be refused if you are caught being deliberately dishonest.

Biometric enrolment is currently being phrased in worldwide. You are likely to have to submit your biometric data at your local Visa Application Centre. These are outsourced to a third party company. You will receive a letter from the Home Office about where you need to go and when.

Yes, you will still need to attend your citizenship ceremony. If you are outside the UK then this will be performed at your local British consulate. The fee will still be £80.

No. It's likely that any agent will more likely hinder rather than help and charge you for the privilege. Simply complete your application as honestly and fully as possible and provide the documents required.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 6:20 am
Just Joined

tarnalcock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good Character/Biometrics/Ceremonies

Thank you for the informative response! Of course I plan to be 100% honest. I read the caution that lying would result in a 10 year ban.