Going home from Australia

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 4:29 am
Just Joined

Joey44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going home from Australia

Hi all, I am a British citizen who has lived in Aus for long enough to gain permanent residency. I decided not to apply for citizenship.

Now... I'd like to convince my husband (Australian) to take me home
If we were to move, permanently, back to the UK to live and work, what would we need to do regarding visas etc.?

Alternatively, if we were to go over for a while to see if he likes it (we would have to work to afford it) how would the process differ?

I'm not really sure due to leaving the UK as a child, and not getting very far with my research!
Thanks in advance
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

CDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going home from Australia

I'm new at this too but your spouse would need to apply for a visa in order to be able to work. The visa can only be applied for outside of the UK. There are a few options. One would be to provide proof that you, as a citizen, had a job lined up before applying for the visa or show savings in excess of £62,500, or a combination of salary and savings. Here's a link to get you started. The reading here will probably help you understand the process a little more and therefore ask questions. The wiki at the top of the page is excellent as well. Good luck! http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...led/spouse-cp/
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Does your husband have any UK born parents or grandparents? If so, then an ancestry visa is a whole lot easier than a spouse visa. If not, does he have access to an EU passport through any other ancestry?
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the links, I'll have to get reading!
Regarding ancestry... his grandparents where all born here in aus as far as we know... how far back can you go?
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 11:14 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joey44
Thanks for the links, I'll have to get reading!
Regarding ancestry... his grandparents where all born here in aus as far as we know... how far back can you go?
Yes, lots of reading to do Joey! Ancestry visas - grandparents is it unfortunately.

Are you absolutely sure about not applying for Oz citizenship? You never know what the future holds.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

The visa for your husband is the same whether you intend to settle permanently or temporarily as there is no recognition of "temporary settlement" for a returning citizen. The long and short of it is you will need to be earning over £18,600 in Australia yourself (excluding your husbands income) or have £62,500 in the bank between you before you can even consider returning.

Another good place to start for a summary and links to the official text of the rules is the BE Wiki page (linked in my signature).

Once you've had a read of the links people have sent feel free to come back with more specific questions - or just to share your worries - many, many families are now facing problems returning to the UK
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 1:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, I am a British citizen who has lived in Aus for long enough to gain permanent residency. I decided not to apply for citizenship.

If we were to move, permanently, back to the UK to live and work, what would we need to do regarding visas etc.?

Alternatively, if we were to go over for a while to see if he likes it (we would have to work to afford it) how would the process differ?

I'm not really sure due to leaving the UK as a child, and not getting very far with my research!
Thanks in advance
Think very carefully before going back without getting Aussie citizenshp first. If you do sponsor your husband for a UK Spouse visa and move, there is always the chance that in years to come that you both want to return to Australia. Without citizenship you may find thedoor closed to you, or at the very least you might need to apply for a new Spouse visa. Holding PR now does not guarantee you the right to return.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Given that both the UK and Australia are toughening up their stance on immigration I echo the others' suggestions that you reconsider your decision not to acquired Australian citizenship. Given the time and money you must've invariably spent on getting to PR status it's only a small step to leave the door open for you in Australia.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
YOU as a British citizen can just get on a plane and go home.

Hubby, as Australian citizen would need a visa to reside in the UK permanently.

There is no "go and see if I like it" visa. Hubby can go as a tourist for up to 6 months but HE cannot work.

You can apply for a spouse visa for him - there are financial requirements a) based on YOU getting a job for 6 moths earning 18,600 per annum b) getting a job within 3 months of your arriving AND also having a current job which meets the financial requirements c) savings/investment etc.

Read the document below carefully to see how you qualify:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary

I would strongly recommend getting Aussie citizenship so if neither of you likes the UK you can both return without any hassle.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 12:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks all. I actually do have a citizenship application in the pipeline but have been too busy (read: slack!) to have the interview etc, so will get onto that asap. My husband would likely feel better knowing we could both come back here as easily as I can go back home.

As for getting him into the UK, I think my biggest difficulty would be securing a job over there before we arrive. Does anyone know of any way of seeing whether Australian qualifications mean anything in the UK?
Old Oct 24th 2013, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

CDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond repute

NARIC UK For a fee, NARIC will let you know how your qualifications translate. My husband is currently going through the process as well. http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/