giving birth in uk... visa, citizenship, advice?

Old Oct 25th 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: giving birth in uk... visa, citizenship, advice?

Originally Posted by holly_1948
That's interesting.

In what kind of circumstances does that arise?
Gypsies and travellers with no fixed abode perhaps?
If they are Irish travellers, then they do have access to free NHS: it's a non-EU pact between Ireland and the UK.

These are some of the ones I was told who don't: illegal immigrants (including overstayers); failed asylum seekers; those on short term visas; those on visitors visas (some use them to reside in the UK even though they aren't meant to); EUs and their dependants who aren't exercising their EU rights in accordance with EU law; those EUs and their dependants who must not be "a burden to the UK".

Last edited by formula; Oct 25th 2013 at 3:27 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2013, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

And they can only use it to advertise medical goods or services to you.
I love it when I get spammed and they enclose a 'postage paid' envelope. I just stick their envelope on an argos catalogue and post it back
Old Oct 26th 2013, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

CDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond repute

Good thread. I'll be arriving when I'm 7 months pregnant in 2 months as well. I've pretty much discovered that private medical insurance rarely covers private maternity and the ones that do cover it, need to have it in a policy for over 10 months before being able to use it (and we'll have to change private insurers when we arrive in the UK). The NHS system looks like it will be an entirely different experience than my previous c-section deliveries in Canada. Used to private rooms with DH staying with me as opposed to a ward with multiple women and babies . I'm sure I'll survive but likely feel a little homesick.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 7:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
I love it when I get spammed and they enclose a 'postage paid' envelope. I just stick their envelope on an argos catalogue and post it back
My mum used to fill the envelopes with small bits of paper and return them...all the bits of paper would fall out when the envelope was opened,
Old Oct 26th 2013, 7:44 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDNtoUK
The NHS system looks like it will be an entirely different experience than my previous c-section deliveries in Canada. Used to private rooms with DH staying with me as opposed to a ward with multiple women and babies . I'm sure I'll survive but likely feel a little homesick.
Do you know which hospital you're likely to use? Some (or many?) do have private postnatal rooms available; you can request and pay for them, if they're not in use (I think they're normally allocated to women who've had difficult deliveries). I think partners can stay over in these rooms, although they might be on a crash mat rather than a nice bed!

I stayed in a busy London postnatal ward, with 4 women plus babies in every room, each of us separated by curtains. There was a fair amount of hustle and bustle, but people respected each other's space and privacy, and in the end I didn't mind not having my own room. Partners could stay from 8am until midnight; other visitors had more restricted hours.

I spent my first 2 trimesters in America, so I didn't know what to expect from the NHS. It was fine! You do have to adjust to the 'no frills' aspect; bringing along your own towel and toiletries, nappies for the baby etc. Also the food tends towards British school dinner (carbs and overcooked veg), although my friend -- who got a private room -- did somehow get a fruit plate!
Old Oct 26th 2013, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

CDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond reputeCDNtoUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much MoshiMoshi. I think we're likely moving to Surrey, although not quite sure exactly where yet (Cobham, Walton on Thames, Woking, Reigate?). If we can get a private room, that would be great so I'll definitely inquire at the hospitals. I know that I will need a c-section. I'm fine with bringing my own nappies etc and my DH is amazing and will bring anything else I need. Seeing as we have 2 toddlers already, I'm expecting my mum will come over and help out for a while as well.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 9:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Mae...may I ask why you want to give birth in the UK? No matter what country your baby is born in...it will be a UK and US citizens.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 26th 2013 at 11:08 pm. Reason: Removed quote
Old Oct 26th 2013, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Wow that's going to cost a lot of money. May I ask why you want to give birth in the UK? No matter what country your baby is born in...it will be a UK and US citizens.
I'm Canadian not American :-) We're not moving to the UK just to give birth. That doesn't make sense to me at all. Our kids are already dual Canadian/British citizens. We're moving there permanently for job reasons and I happen to be 5 months pregnant right now. We thought of waiting until after the baby is born but moving with a 3 y.o. and 2 y.o. and a newborn sounds more stressful than with a 3 y.o. and 1 y.o. I will have coverage with NHS when I get there so it shouldn't be too expensive. If we get a private room, I've read they're anywhere from ï¿¡30-ï¿¡200 a night, so not expensive at all as opposed to going to a private hospital which would run ï¿¡8-10k for the whole experience.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 11:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm Canadian not American :-) We're not moving to the UK just to give birth. That doesn't make sense to me at all. Our kids are already dual Canadian/British citizens. We're moving there permanently for job reasons and I happen to be 5 months pregnant right now. We thought of waiting until after the baby is born but moving with a 3 y.o. and 2 y.o. and a newborn sounds more stressful than with a 3 y.o. and 1 y.o. I will have coverage with NHS when I get there so it shouldn't be too expensive. If we get a private room, I've read they're anywhere from ï¿¡30-ï¿¡200 a night, so not expensive at all as opposed to going to a private hospital which would run ï¿¡8-10k for the whole experience.
I apologise...I got you confused with the OP. I will remove the quote in my post.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 26th 2013 at 11:10 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2013, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I apologise...I got you confused with the OP. I will remove the quote in my post.
That's okay :-) Not offended or anything. Just clarifying!
Old Oct 27th 2013, 1:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mae
hello all, my first post here. my husband is a dual uk/us citizen, but has been living in the us since he was a teen. i am a us citizen. we would like to go to the uk when i am around 7 months pregnant to give birth there, and remain for a few months after the birth. our understanding is that our child would be a citizen even if born in the united states, but that our grandchildren would not unless born in the uk, and since we are able and our insurance covers it, we figured we'd gift some citizenship for the future. my questions are whether 1) my understanding is correct that the child will be a british citizen (not by descent) if born in the uk, even though my husband has not been living there; and 2) we'll have problems getting a visa for my stay (we will be able to prove that my insurance covers us to give birth there and that we can otherwise afford our stay in the uk. the plan is to stay about 5 months total). or any other issues i'm not thinking about. we already are in touch with a doctor and a hospital there.

Are you going to the U.K. specifically in order to have the child born in Britain, or have you got some other reasons? It would be unusual to do this solely for reasons of passing on British citizenship to the following generation. If the child grows up in the United States, he or she will likely identify a lot more with the U.S. than any other country and the following generation even more so.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
... It would be unusual to do this solely for reasons of passing on British citizenship to the following generation. ...
For an American, having dual British citizenship is tantamount to having a work permit for pretty much anywhere in Europe. A valuable legacy to pass on to ones grandchildren.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 12:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

For an American, having dual British citizenship is tantamount to having a work permit for pretty much anywhere in Europe. A valuable legacy to pass on to ones grandchildren.
Except that laws might be different in future.
It just seems an extreme step to try to ensure that a child is British otherwise than by descent rather than simply British by descent. (Although we don't know in this case whether the child would be British, if born in the U.S.).

For most people, it is expensive to arrange to give birth in another country. If there is a strong support network in the U.K. and staying for months isn't an issue, and there's insurance/funds to pay for medical treatment, that's one thing. But for a typical U.S. resident, even one with a U.K. spouse, it would be a fairly extreme step if that was the only motivation.

It would also be necessary to ensure that the child would get automatic American citizenship.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 8:35 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: giving birth in uk... visa, citizenship, advice?

If we can get a private room, that would be great so I'll definitely inquire at the hospitals. I know that I will need a c-section.

Everyone I've ever known whom has had a Caesarian section in the UK has been given her own room after the delivery - myself included, on two occasions for both of my children.

It is to prevent cross-infection due to having an open wound, as a Caesarian section is considered to be a major operation.

Btw I was also given the choice of having my baby in the room with me all the time (the nurses bring the baby to your bed for feeding) or to go in the nursery if you want to sleep.

Last edited by Englishmum; Oct 29th 2013 at 8:37 am.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 10:58 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Btw I was also given the choice of having my baby in the room with me all the time (the nurses bring the baby to your bed for feeding) or to go in the nursery if you want to sleep.
AFAIK, over the last few years this has been phased out in NHS hospitals. Most (if not all) no longer have separate nursery facilities for newborns, and babies always sleep in bassinets by the mother's bed unless health issues dictate otherwise.

Also, there were a few women in my shared postnatal room who'd had c-sections. I think it puts you on the priority list for a private room, but doesn't automatically ensure one, especially at a busy maternity department.