Getting Ready to Apply...

Old Jan 17th 2019, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Getting Ready to Apply...

Hi folks!

So, we have all the very important pieces in place to apply for the spouse visa for my husband, and now comes the visa application process. I'm nervous, as I remember doing this the other way around (UK to US immigration—I'm now a dual citizen here in the USA) and remember how complex the process was. I don't want to leave any Ts uncrossed or any Is undotted, because I get the impression that Her Majesty's Government doesn't generally give people any notice if they've forgotten a document or two (correct me if I'm wrong here....).

Naturally I have questions, and will search the forum for recent answers. Here are a couple, though, that are more specific:

We bought a house in Scotland and completed the sale in September of last year, so the adequate accommodation part of the deal is taken care of. My mother is currently living in it and taking care of it. We have all the documentation sent to the solicitor through the purchase process (bank statements, proof of where the money came from to purchase the house (a land sale), all that anti-money laundering stuff) and the title registration. We also have the home report for the house, which was created by the seller about a month before the home went on the market: is that sufficient to prove ownership and fulfill the bedrooms-per-person requirement?

We are going the savings route, and the bank account is in my husband's name, which I hear is okay (jointly, in the sponsor's name or in the applicant's name, yes?). I've heard that as of recently, original bank statements are no longer needed: is that true? No more need to get official statements stamped by the bank? Or is it still best to go to the bank, get stamped statements and submit those just to be on the safe side? As for proving where the savings came from: we have title company paperwork for land sales which happened last March and last month to hopefully prove we came across the money legitimately. Anything else I should include to prove legitimate savings?

Hubby's old passports: should we include those or should we include photocopies of each page?

Is it worth sending two of everything in case the scanner in New York has a bad day, or am I being overly paranoid?

Thanks for all the useful threads in this forum and for your helpfulness to others and to me in the past. I'll be very glad when this process is done!
Old Jan 17th 2019, 10:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Ready to Apply...

The title deed and home report should suffice to fulfil the accommodation requirement. Savings in one name are fine. I would stick with original/stamped bank statements. You don't need to prove the source of the money, just declare it on Appendix 2. Send your husband's old passports. One set will suffice.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Ready to Apply...

Thank you so much! You are a treasure chest of information! I thought of another question earlier, but now can't remember it (silly me!) but will post another reply when it comes back to me....
Old Feb 1st 2019, 8:17 pm
Cruising through BE

LARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond repute
Question Applying this year (Aug 2019)

Hiya guys.

Im a total noob to this forum. So please excuse if I post on the wrong thread.

Ill be married end of July or early August. Then we will be applying for the Visa once I change my surname (get all my US docs changed)

However, we have a honeymoon coming up in September.

With the new system of scanning, will I still need to send my passport over to Sheffield?

We have one of those offices here (the VFS) However, their reviews are horrible so I am terrified of booking with that place or giving them any of my money.

A little worried as we planned on going to Italy (with his whole Fam-Bam.)

Thank Y'all in advance for the response.. Texan here
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 2:30 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying this year (Aug 2019)

Originally Posted by LARAHTX
Hiya guys.

Ill be married end of July or early August. Then we will be applying for the Visa once I change my surname (get all my US docs changed)

With the new system of scanning, will I still need to send my passport over to Sheffield?

We have one of those offices here (the VFS) However, their reviews are horrible so I am terrified of booking with that place or giving them any of my money.

Why not wait to apply until after you get back?
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Applying this year (Aug 2019)

Originally Posted by LARAHTX
Hiya guys.

I would definitely follow BritInParis recommendation and wait until you return.
With this process there are no guarantees.

We are currently waiting for my hubbys spousal visa.
We paid priority and currently on working day 40 ..

The passports don’t go to Sheffield if you are applying from the USA they actually stay at the premium application center and or the scanning hub.
My hubbys is at the NY scanning hub. Well hopefully it is they changed address since he applied.

Alternatively you can pay to keep your passport however you have to go through VFS

We have been married 27 years
Savings used to meet financial requirement
Accommodation requirement met.

We figured it would be a straight forward application and would get the decision made email within 30days of his biometrics ... guess we got that wrong