Getting Passports for Kids

Old Jun 25th 2011, 12:03 am
Just Joined

ronnieuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Passports for Kids

Question - I'm am English and will be moving back to the UK next month with my 2 Canadian born children and husband. How easy is it to get the kids British passports and how do I do it?

Thanks for any help!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 12:22 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Passports for Kids

If you are going next month the chance of getting them UK passports in time is pretty slim to none, theres an epic tread going in the USA section on passport delays, Canada now has to send passports to Washington DC and it's taking months.
If they have Canadian passports maybe getting an appointment to get right of abode stamps for them would be quicker, then get UK passports once you are back in UK.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:22 am
Just Joined

sorry - should have been more specific.

Already have the settlement visas for the kids as they have canadian passports - just wondering on how easy it is to get them citizenship once we get back to the UK next month
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ronnieuk
sorry - should have been more specific.

Already have the settlement visas for the kids as they have canadian passports - just wondering on how easy it is to get them citizenship once we get back to the UK next month
If you are British then your children are probably already British citizens by descent.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you were born in Britain then the children are already British citizens and if that's the case, the visa officer did not do his or her job. A visa should NOT be given to a person who is a British citizen or right of abode holder.

However, if they have stamps in their passports, you can use them (even if they are legally null and void) but once they are in Britain they need to get British passports or Right of Abode stamps. It will be easier to get these in the UK.

Are you a Canadian citizen too, or still a permanent resident? If you're a permanent resident, do you understand what will happen to your status when you no longer live in Canada?
Old Jun 26th 2011, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

I am a Canadian Citizen as well so hold both a UK and Canadian passport my husband is Canadian.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

How do I get them UK passports - is it just as easy as putting filling in the passport form or do I have to do something extra so they're on the "citizenship register"
Old Jun 26th 2011, 5:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

How do I get them UK passports - is it just as easy as putting filling in the passport form or do I have to do something extra so they're on the "citizenship register"
You haven't told us where you were born, so it's not clear whether they automatically have British citizenship or not.

If automatically, you can just them a British passport (or Right of Abode stamp). If not, an application for citizenship will need to be lodged with the Home Office, before age 18.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

I was born in the UK
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:12 am
JAJ
Retired

I was born in the UK
In that case, once you are back in the UK, get them British passports:
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/agencie...ic-bodies/ips/

Your husband should be able to become a naturalised British citizen after 3 years.