Getting a Job in the UK from Abroad

Old Nov 16th 2016, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryStampeder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a Job in the UK from Abroad

Hello, I am looking to return to the UK with my US wife and because I've been working here in the US for nearly 3 years, through the help of this forum I discovered we could both return to the UK together if I had a job offer back in the UK starting within 3 months of our return (And of course satisfying the salary, which here in the US I make 30,000).

Now this is obviously easier said than done, but I wondered if anyone could share some success stories, or even offer some advice on how to secure a job offer back in the UK while still being abroad?
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a Job in the UK from Abroad

What's your field of employment? Whereabouts are you aiming to settle in the UK?
Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Networking, researching all the relevant trade magazines in your particular field, Googling major agency sites, many companies advertise their vacancies on their own websites.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryStampeder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TrishP
What's your field of employment? Whereabouts are you aiming to settle in the UK?
Data Analyst here in the US. looking to move to the Sheffield/Manchester area but honestly anywhere would be possible
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a relative or trusted friend whose address you can borrow for your CV? Renting a PO Box from Mailboxes, Etc. would be another alternative - just give "Unit No __" or "Flat No __" instead of "Box No __" as your address.

You can also obtain a local VoIP phone number in the UK through Vonage or other internet phone serice and map it to your cell phone in the US.

Although others have reported some success applying from overseas, my suspicion is that most employers will entirely ignore applications that appear to be from outside the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 17th 2016 at 12:43 pm.