Financial Requirement for UK Spouse Visa

Old Apr 5th 2013, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

hannah668 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Financial Requirement for UK Spouse Visa

Hi there,

I have a question regarding the financial requirement for applying for a spouse visa and wondered if you could help. I am a UK citizen, was born here and have lived here all my life. My husband-to-be comes from Afghanistan and has been over here for five years on a student visa. His company are looking to sponsor him for a work permit for the UK but we are also hoping to apply for a spouse visa in case this doesn't work out.

My questions are...

1. I early about £12000 a year and he earns about £9000. How long must we meet the financial requirement for? I am likely to be studying next year and unable to work and earn the same amount. Will this affect the application since he is limited on hours due to his student visa?
2. If we are given a marriage visa, how long will he be allowed to remain in the UK? I was reading that you have to apply for "leave to remain" in the country but am unsure how this works?
3. I don't believe the marriage visa gives the spouse permission to work so if he wants (and needs!) to work, will his company still have to sponsor him?

Many thanks, Hannah
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Requirement for UK Spouse Visa

You need 18,600 per annum in earning to qualify for a marriage visa; or savings/assets to make us this amount.

From your posting your combined income is around 21K. That qualifies. If your incomes have been earned for at least 6 months and you have the necessary payslips, bank statements to prove this then you can apply under Cat A.

If not been earned for 6 months then you need to see if you qualify under Cat B

See here for details:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary

The spouse visa is issued for 2.5 years to begin with. At the end of this period you again need to prove financial requirements. If you are not working and/or you don't meet these requirements you won't get the next visa "leave to remain"

Once your husband has his marriage visa then he can work without restriction.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Ok, thanks very much for your help.

The other thing concerning me is that is says we have to have visited each other's country to prove our relationship is genuine. Does this apply even though we met in the UK?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannah668
Ok, thanks very much for your help.

The other thing concerning me is that is says we have to have visited each other's country to prove our relationship is genuine. Does this apply even though we met in the UK?
If you met in the UK then you state that in the application. Presumably that will be identified since you will need to provide details of partner's presence in the UK.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Ok, thanks a lot for your help