Extending Family Visa

Old Jan 13th 2023, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

ToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Extending Family Visa

Hello everyone

My present family visa (2 yrs 9 mths) will expire spring of 2024. I will need to apply for an extension. Am starting to look at it now nice and early so I can plan ahead.

1. Looked at Family visas: apply, extend or switch: Overview - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) but it seems mostly focused on the original applying, not extending. Where do I look for information on extending, especially documentation etc?

2. I am rather hoping to get away from the winter next Dec (2023), Jan (2024) and Feb (2024) but these months will occur within the last six months of my present visa. Does that present a problem for my application?

As always, am grateful for pointers in the right direction.
Old Jan 13th 2023, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending Family Visa

You apply for Further leave to Remain FLR (M)

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ine-form-flr-m

Application date is the day you submit your online application.

If you are here on family route (as spouse or unmarried partner), and you entered UK on 33-month visa, then the earliest you can apply to renew your leave on form FLR(M) is on the 30-month anniversary of your UK entry (not from 'valid from' date on your visa, unless you arrived here on the first day of validity), minus 28 days. So for example, if you arrived in UK on your settlement visa on 17th June 2015, you can apply on 17th December 2017 (30-month anniversary), minus 28 days which will be 19th November 2017. So that's the first day you can book your premium service centre appointment for (for same-day service).

You provide the same info as for your initial visa: proof of financial requirements, accommodation and relationship

You should not leave the UK while your application is being processed.
Old Jan 14th 2023, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

ToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond reputeToCumbria has a reputation beyond repute

That's excellent! Many thanks, SanDiegogirl. So no escaping all of the winter.

Two supplementary questions, if I may:

1. Does the Home Office send out reminders to us when it is time to apply for FLR?

2. I have now reached 65 years. Just to double-confirm that I do not have to take another English test nor Life in the UK test?

Old Jan 14th 2023, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

1. No
2. Don't know about the English test. You only take Life in the UK test at Naturalisation or Settlement neither of which is the visa you are applying for.
Old Jan 14th 2023, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, SanDiegogirl.
Old Dec 6th 2023, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You apply for Further leave to Remain FLR (M)

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ine-form-flr-m

Application date is the day you submit your online application.

If you are here on family route (as spouse or unmarried partner), and you entered UK on 33-month visa, then the earliest you can apply to renew your leave on form FLR(M) is on the 30-month anniversary of your UK entry (not from 'valid from' date on your visa, unless you arrived here on the first day of validity), minus 28 days. So for example, if you arrived in UK on your settlement visa on 17th June 2015, you can apply on 17th December 2017 (30-month anniversary), minus 28 days which will be 19th November 2017. So that's the first day you can book your premium service centre appointment for (for same-day service).
Hi SanDiegogirl (and anyone else)

Sorry to be a pain but just want to double-check matters. My spouse wants to know where you got the information about 30-month anniversary minus 28 days from.

Is the following correct:
1). My Leave to Enter is from 31 May 2021 to 29 Feb 2024. I entered UK on 1 Aug 2021. So 2.5 years will take me to 1 Feb 2024. Then minus 28 days will take me back to 4 January 2024. That is, the earliest I can apply for the extension is 4 January 2024?

2). This means that I can avoid the hike in health surcharge?

Many thanks.
Old Dec 6th 2023, 1:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The IHS increase is currently due on Tuesday 16 January 2024. I would plan on submitting the application the weekend prior.
Old Dec 9th 2023, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, BIP. Much appreciated.
Old Jan 4th 2024, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Am now in the process of filling in the online forms (not submitting till next week .

One of the questions is:

Do you have any Home Office reference numbers?
If you have previously made an application to remain in the UK, you can find a reference number on letters from the Home Office, called 'Our Ref' or 'Case ID'. If not known, select 'No'.

I am applying to extend my visa and this is my only application. So I presume 'No'. But do they count the ref number from my original Leave to Enter letter so I should quote that?
Old Jan 4th 2024, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

And next question(s) if I may.

Online form is asking:
Is this the first time you have applied for a partner route, or an extension, with your current partner (including as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner)? (Y/N)

I presume I would say 'Yes' because this is the first time I have applied for an extension.

In which case, for the next question of 'Reason for Extension' I would select:

First extension as a partner (following an initial period of entry as a partner, or as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of a settled person)

Last edited by ToCumbria; Jan 4th 2024 at 10:34 am.
Old Jan 4th 2024, 12:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ToCumbria
Am now in the process of filling in the online forms (not submitting till next week .

One of the questions is:

Do you have any Home Office reference numbers?
If you have previously made an application to remain in the UK, you can find a reference number on letters from the Home Office, called 'Our Ref' or 'Case ID'. If not known, select 'No'.

I am applying to extend my visa and this is my only application. So I presume 'No'. But do they count the ref number from my original Leave to Enter letter so I should quote that?
You can add your previous reference number if you wish but you will suffer no ill effects by selecting ‘No’ .
Old Jan 4th 2024, 12:09 pm

And next question(s) if I may.

Online form is asking:
Is this the first time you have applied for a partner route, or an extension, with your current partner (including as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner)? (Y/N)

I presume I would say 'Yes' because this is the first time I have applied for an extension.

In which case, for the next question of 'Reason for Extension' I would select:

First extension as a partner (following an initial period of entry as a partner, or as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of a settled person)
Correct on both counts.
Old Jan 4th 2024, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks, BIP.
Old Jan 4th 2024, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi BIP

I forgot to ask:
One of the questions is how long I have lived in the UK. It is 2 yrs 5 months (entry 1/8/21). However, I read that one is supposed to apply at the 2 yrs 6 months stage. This goes back to the issue of 2 yrs 6 months minus 28 days. Can you triply confirm that I am okay to put 2 yrs 5 months?
Old Jan 8th 2024, 12:05 am

Hi BIP

I forgot to ask:
One of the questions is how long I have lived in the UK. It is 2 yrs 5 months (entry 1/8/21). However, I read that one is supposed to apply at the 2 yrs 6 months stage. This goes back to the issue of 2 yrs 6 months minus 28 days. Can you triply confirm that I am okay to put 2 yrs 5 months?
You can apply for FLR(M) at any time so that’s not a problem. The IHS rise is now likely to be delayed but it’s not currently clear until when. If you’re not travelling soon I would recommend picking an appointment date as far in advance as possible to extend your next visa’s end date as far into the future as possible so you won’t be up against it when it comes to ILR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.