Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

which eu country best to claim eea for non eea citizen, Uk passport holds

which eu country best to claim eea for non eea citizen, Uk passport holds

Old Apr 6th 2014, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Tonyt89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile which eu country best to claim eea for non eea citizen, Uk passport holds

Hi
I wonder if anybody can help.
My situation, UK passport holder wit 3 children(also UK passports), living in NZ, want to return with my NZ husband.
Understand the 6 months visitor visa with husband and me earning £18.6K PA for 6 months, then husband returns to NZ to apply for spouse visa.

I understand an alternative is for me to be resident in EU for 3 months or so and working and can then claim EEA rights for my husband.

Is anybody aware of the best EU country that this could be applied for with minimum residency and income requirement?

Also would it be best to arrive in this EU country from NZ, or arrive in the UK and then travel to the EU country??
Cheers for any advice:
Old Apr 6th 2014, 10:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: which eu country best to claim eea for non eea citizen, Uk passport holds

Any EEA country will do and how you get there is irrelevant but the rules concerning your residency in that country have been tightened significantly this year. You will need to demonstrate that you have 'moved the centre of your life' to the EEA country in question so you'll be looking at more like 6-12 months residence plus evidence that you have put down roots i.e. employment, education, property, bank accounts, utility bills, learning the language, etc.. The days of working in an Irish bar for a few months before coming back in are gone.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: which eu country best to claim eea for non eea citizen, Uk passport holds

thanks for reply, I understand that everywhere has tightened up, but I feel that some of the EU countries may be easier than others?
Is france easier than holland or portugal? Or any EU country may be lighter on regulations??any feedback would be good
cheers
Old Apr 7th 2014, 4:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tonyt89
thanks for reply, I understand that everywhere has tightened up, but I feel that some of the EU countries may be easier than others?
Is france easier than holland or portugal? Or any EU country may be lighter on regulations??any feedback would be good
cheers
It's the UK's regulations you'll have to satisfy so it doesn't really matter which EEA country you go to. Obviously some are going to be easier in terms of finding work, quality of life, local red tape, etc.. If you speak any other European languages then that would have a bearing too.

Personally speaking Germany's economy is in the best shape, quality of life is good and it's comparatively cheap to live there. English is widely spoken, at least by the younger generation. The Netherlands is another good option for much the same reasons.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Great, that helps in trying to look for the best country, any other feedback would also be useful, regarding any income requirements to be fulfilled in these countries, before they would grant local residency
??
Old Apr 7th 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Tonyt89
Great, that helps in trying to look for the best country, any other feedback would also be useful, regarding any income requirements to be fulfilled in these countries, before they would grant local residency
??
That's irrelevant in your situation. You'll be excising your EU freedom of movement treaty rights and your Kiwi husband would be your dependent. The only thing you should look into is the local equivalent of an EEA Family Permit in your country of choice.