Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

English Test Outside of UK for Spouse Visa? Important Changes Immediate Effect!!!

English Test Outside of UK for Spouse Visa? Important Changes Immediate Effect!!!

Old Mar 29th 2015, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Test Outside of UK for Spouse Visa? Important Changes Immediate Effect!!!

IELTS Results back already! No prep done at all.
7.5 listening
speaking 7
6 writing
6.5 reading

Now biometric. Needs to travel to another country for this!!

She was nervous so I could add an extra point on each of these.
Both very happy with these.
Old Mar 29th 2015, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Test Outside of UK for Spouse Visa? Important Changes Immediate Effect!!!

Originally Posted by alfista1
IELTS Results back already! No prep done at all.
7.5 listening
speaking 7
6 writing
6.5 reading

Now biometric. Needs to travel to another country for this!!

She was nervous so I could add an extra point on each of these.
Both very happy with these.
What is a Biometric and why does your wife have to get this done in another country. Well done on the IELTS result
Old Mar 30th 2015, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
What is a Biometric and why does your wife have to get this done in another country. Well done on the IELTS result
It's part 2 of the application process. Fingerprints and photos, not sure if there is anything else involved.
The embassy here does not do this. The nearest place is Argentina.
oh yes and another cost.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 10:51 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Alfista, are you sure about having to go to Argentina for biometrics? USCIS collects biometrics for the UK in many countries. I've done a rudimentary google trying to source the answer but I'm not finding any joy. I think since this is your dog and fight (if you get what I mean) you should check it out further.

Congrats on the English exam, BTW.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Bit worried after looking at the Ielts certificate.

doesn't say specifically anywhere on it that it's for UK immigration. Is it registered electronically?

Does someone have an example to show?
Old Mar 31st 2015, 9:49 am
Just Joined

MichaelCollins12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's done online. According to page 12 of this

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ansitional.pdf

you need name, dofb and passport number
Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Nothing came up online for her details on the IELTS lookup. The institute did say they were having problems with online access for test results.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

MichaelCollins12 is an unknown quantity at this point

And from googling it looks like how soon you can see your test results online depends on the test centre you took it at. That is effing ridiculous. One place said "You will not be able to see your test result for more than 40 DAYS after you took your test", and another said "The online preview is no guarantee of the validity of the result". Yet you're supposed to validate the result online. Which idiot is in charge of this operation... and why are they still in charge??
Old Mar 31st 2015, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

got the certificate but nothing online!!!
Now the institute is closed until next week for Easter!!!

On IELTS it says a second piece of paper can be issued if its for UK immigration!!
We received nothing.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cambridge have replied and are looking into it
Old Mar 31st 2015, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply.

The document you have attached is a Test Report Form which is an official document confirming your results. Centres do not provide additional documents confirming it's validity for UKVI purposes.

The UK Home Office currently accepts IELTS for visa and immigration purposes and you will be able to use your IELTS results for UKVI application until 5th November 2015.

From 6th April 2015 there will be a new list of approved Secure English Language Tests and Test Centres. Anyone taking a test on or after 6th April 2015 must take one of the new listed tests at one of the approved centres if they wish to use it in a UK Immigration application. This information is available on the UK Home Office website here.

If you are making your visa application before 5 November, your results should be accepted by the Home Office.

I hope this information is of some help.

Best wishes,

Urszula Szaniawska | Senior Helpdesk Analyst
Cambridge English Language Assessment
Old Apr 29th 2015, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

dyqik is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I used this forum a bit when I first moved the US, and I just popped back looking for some other info, and saw this thread. Hopefully I can give a little information relevant to the US east coast, at least.

My (US citizen) wife is an IELTS examiner and recently did the training with IELTS to examine the IELTS Life Skills test in the US. IELTS had the form of the exam and the new immigration rules thrust on them very suddenly, and the organization was pretty confused when my wife trained as an examiner. The program is being run out IELTS US office in California directly, unlike the regular US IELTS tests which are run under contract by the ELS language schools. On the East Coast of the US, exam centers in Newark, Boston and Miami are being set up, but only Newark has test dates set so far. 5 or 6 examiners have been trained, mostly based in Newark, with one in Boston. Miami and Boston will be a "pop-up" exam centers, with no IELTS staff based in the city.

The format of the exam is a group (two testees) interview with an examiner, and will be videoed. Scores will be given on listening and speaking only. According to my wife, IELTS weren't that sure about a number of details, which will have to be ironed out as they start doing exams.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All!
A long overdue update from myself, as the OP, to let you know our experience with the IELTS exam here in Shanghai.
Done at a local college, there was my Wife and another testee, plus the examiner. No video recording, which she was a bit disappointed of actually, as she's very proud of her near-perfect English and had dressed will to boot!

Questions were asked, back and forth to each testee, in total lasted about 40 minutes!

She has her certificate now, and very happy, although they don't give gradings anymore, just pass or fail.

Good luck to all.