Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

English Test Outside of UK for Spouse Visa? Important Changes Immediate Effect!!!

English Test Outside of UK for Spouse Visa? Important Changes Immediate Effect!!!

Old Mar 10th 2015, 1:41 am
Just Joined

MichaelCollins12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English Test Outside of UK for Spouse Visa? Important Changes Immediate Effect!!!

According to this

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ansitional.pdf

I think so, but as it says only until April 5th
Old Mar 10th 2015, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Test Outside of UK for Spouse Visa? Important Changes Immediate Effect!!!

Originally Posted by alfista1
Confused.

I think my wife has to take her test.
We're applying for the visa next month.

A SELTS (IELTS) centre is here in Montevideo. I see on the new list that it disappears!!! So she'd have to travel to another country!!

There is a test date this Saturday. So she only has to pass A1 speaking and listening for the spouse visa?

update:
I found this clarification
Forget all other test, the only one available outside of the UK for visa applications is IELTS. If you are specifically just wanting to only do speaking and listening, and not reading and writing (which is a more extensive test), then you have to take the IELTS Life Skills test, FROM 6th April.

If your Wife has a test this Saturday, then she must be doing a more extensive test, and I would also be very careful to check and tell them that this is required for a UK visa application, is it still approved?

In some cases, yes, you might have to travel to another country. Best to call the local one first.

I would suggest you do a lot more reading of the immigration rules before you apply. The requirement to pass the English test at A1 level at least is a pretty obvious one, and there are a lot more tricky and in-depth rules to follow. No offence of course, but you have several hundred pages of rules in this process. It's a bit of a nightmare, don't rush it. Good luck.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MonsterP
Forget all other test, the only one available outside of the UK for visa applications is IELTS. If you are specifically just wanting to only do speaking and listening, and not reading and writing (which is a more extensive test), then you have to take the IELTS Life Skills test, FROM 6th April.

If your Wife has a test this Saturday, then she must be doing a more extensive test, and I would also be very careful to check and tell them that this is required for a UK visa application, is it still approved?

In some cases, yes, you might have to travel to another country. Best to call the local one first.

I would suggest you do a lot more reading of the immigration rules before you apply. The requirement to pass the English test at A1 level at least is a pretty obvious one, and there are a lot more tricky and in-depth rules to follow. No offence of course, but you have several hundred pages of rules in this process. It's a bit of a nightmare, don't rush it. Good luck.
Looks like she'll have to wait until April to take any test as there is a deadline for applications at test centres.
Yes we'll call tomorrow.

If the life skills test is the one she needs for the spouse visa then we'll go for that.

We've been planning this for over a year but just can't keep on top of the constant changes to make it complicated. Almost ready to give up and say good bye to old blighty. Just one thing after another.
Save our money and go and study/work in the US!
Old Mar 10th 2015, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we were booked in with Trinity in March, paid and ready, then it was withdrawn.
All the changes kind of put you in a panic to get in quick before a more damaging change comes and then you're effectively blocked from living in you're own country.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we were booked in with Trinity in March, paid and ready, then it was withdrawn.
All the changes kind of put you in a panic to get in quick before a more damaging change comes and then you're effectively blocked from living in you're own country.
Feel for you
Just as you manage to get over one hurdle they throw another 5 in!
Was relieved I am making the 6 months pay requirement end of March now this setback, which means MORE TIME MY SON IS SPLIT FROM HIS FATHER!

Looks like my wife will have to travel 2 TIMES to Argentina now. First time for the SELTS test and now for the biometrics as they don't do either in Uruguay now.

More money, more time apart.

(heard my son singing alone in his bed today, didn't know I was listening)
"I want to return to England! Yes I want to go back!"

He's always asking me why I have to leave him and why he can't come!
Heartbreaking.
Old Mar 10th 2015, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, exactly.
We're lucky to be doing the savings route, but even that makes me very nervous.
No chance of thinking about setting up life in Europe to do the SS route with a 2.5 year old...
Old Mar 10th 2015, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, exactly.
We're lucky to be doing the savings route, but even that makes me very nervous.
No chance of thinking about setting up life in Europe to do the SS route with a 2.5 year old...
yep the new rules have no consideration for families with young children whatsoever. They are all suffering!
My wife also said no way to the SS route due to our youngster.

Think I would be more nervous with the savings route due to all the proof you need to give. How do you prove that you just saved the money through hard work??
Old Mar 10th 2015, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Called the Anglo today and they have a spare place this Saturday for my wife to take the IELTS General Exam (speaking, listening, writing and reading).

From what I understand this will be valid as she's taking it before the 6th April.

Can anyone confirm?
Old Mar 11th 2015, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

yep the new rules have no consideration for families with young children whatsoever. They are all suffering!
My wife also said no way to the SS route due to our youngster.

Think I would be more nervous with the savings route due to all the proof you need to give. How do you prove that you just saved the money through hard work??
Just keep bank books and statements, it's mainly to abide by money laundering rules to show there is no transfer of cash in suspicious circumstances. Any gifts of cash must be justified if required.
Having everything through the bank creates a trail, so no issues.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Called the Anglo today and they have a spare place this Saturday for my wife to take the IELTS General Exam (speaking, listening, writing and reading).

From what I understand this will be valid as she's taking it before the 6th April.

Can anyone confirm?
As the update from the government on 20th Feb says, yes the tests are valid for an application submitted before November, but, it depends if the college is still doing them and if that test is approved for visa application.
I think best to check the old list of approved exams to see if your exam is listed, and then further check with the test centre. Be clear to them for your reason for the exam.

If all ok, which I think this test is, then fantastic that you can do a test so quickly. Also check when they will issue the certificate as some can take months.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

As the update from the government on 20th Feb says, yes the tests are valid for an application submitted before November, but, it depends if the college is still doing them and if that test is approved for visa application.
I think best to check the old list of approved exams to see if your exam is listed, and then further check with the test centre. Be clear to them for your reason for the exam.

If all ok, which I think this test is, then fantastic that you can do a test so quickly. Also check when they will issue the certificate as some can take months.
Double checking with the language centre today. They have been around for many decades here and have always been the school for Cambridge certificates.

They said 2 weeks for the results
Old Mar 12th 2015, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

I believe the Cambridge KET is still valid.
says on this link
https://support.cambridgeenglish.org...-English-exams

This is easier.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

That's very fast. One of the old Cambridge tests we were looking to do in Shanghai was going to take 6 month to produce the certificate!!!!!!!!!!
Fingers crossed that IELTS is getting all their centres up to speed for the Life Skills test from 6th April...
Old Mar 12th 2015, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

My spouse is all signed up and paid to take the IELTS General Test this Saturday. Results will come in 13 days.
Specifically for UK immigration. Ticked on IELTS form.

Fingers crossed she passes. Her English is good.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Excellent, good luck. Let us know how she gets on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.