English language requirement ID

Old Apr 10th 2014, 5:03 am
Just Joined

BNice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English language requirement ID

Hello, and thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this one.

My question is very specific about linking and verifying the ID of an applicant to their English language exam result.

My wife recently took an approved Cambridge test and registered her details using her Chinese ID card. Her photograph was also taken at the exam centre on the test day. I have since read on Cambridge's website - http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exam...take-the-exam/ - that she should have taken her passport to the test and given them that number. The exam centre says this was not needed. The UKVI list of approved tests - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...lish-tests.pdf - says results must be verified using passport number.

Is she going to have to take another exam and use her passport as ID or not?
Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice
Default Re: English language requirement ID

Unfortunately, this sentence makes things quite clear: "Scores must be verified using the Cambridge English online system using name, date of birth and passport number".

Of course, you could drop [email protected] a line to ask. It will probably take them ages to reply though.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:24 am
Just Joined

I'm having a bit of an issue with the exam centre as they said bringing the passport on the day of the test is pointless whereas Cambridge advise this. I am guessing that she will have to register for another test using her passport as the initial registration document.

I did enquire on the home office webline (and was very specific) but their response seems to have been picked from a drop-down menu (that has not been checked for grammatical mistakes):

Please follow the all instruction written in the document below: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...t_data/file/26 1533/new-approved-english-tests.pdf You have to give all document which support your application.

At least I didn't waste any money on premium call. Hope we don't run into anymore surprises like this.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

I know it's a bit of a waste of money but it might be easier to sort it out now rather than delay things in the future!
Old Apr 12th 2014, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Report the centre to Cambridge, who try to ensure uniformity. National IDs are NOT acceptable.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 1:23 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BNice
I'm having a bit of an issue with the exam centre as they said bringing the passport on the day of the test is pointless whereas Cambridge advise this. I am guessing that she will have to register for another test using her passport as the initial registration document.

I did enquire on the home office webline (and was very specific) but their response seems to have been picked from a drop-down menu (that has not been checked for grammatical mistakes):

Please follow the all instruction written in the document below: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...t_data/file/26 1533/new-approved-english-tests.pdf You have to give all document which support your application.

At least I didn't waste any money on premium call. Hope we don't run into anymore surprises like this.
Someone in the Home Office needs to go back to school
Old Apr 15th 2014, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Indeed. Given the substance of my inquiry, the irony of the Home Office enquiry line's response does little to instill one with confidence in anything other than their ineptitude.

For interested parties, I have an update from the Cambridge helpdesk (who have been very good in responding, unlike UKVI):
A candidate wishes to use a Cambridge exam for purposes of immigration to the UK must have a test day photos taken along with the passport number and nationality of the candidate being recorded at the time of taking the photo.

Additionally, from 6th April 2014, candidates must also now:
  • Use their passport as their ID for registration and test day ID checks
  • Have a voice recording taken by the centre on the day of the exam

It is the responsibility of our exam centres to check if a candidate is taking their exam for purposes of immigration to the UK so that the relevant procedures can be followed.
As far as the last point is concerned, I have to say the service from the exam centre we're using has been less than professional so a complaint may be in the offing since they have known all along the reasons why my wife was sitting an exam.

Hope this is of some use to others.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Some IELTS Exam Centres are better than others !
Old Apr 17th 2014, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

firelight is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just read this and am now really worried about our visa application. My husband passed the PET in Tunisia and we waited for his certificate to arrive before applying for the spouse visa. Does this mean that our application will be refused because he wasn't asked for his passport as ID when he attended for the exam, even though they knew it was for UK immigration purposes? He had his photo taken and submitted his ID card. We have submitted his certificate with his application.

Thanks for your help with this.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Here is an update on my experience:

My wife decided to take another test anyway and registered for it 2 days after the new rules came in. Needless to say, the exam centre weren't on top of things and the registration was made with an ID card same as the first time (no matter, it'll all be good practice). However, the centre have been insisting that the exam she's been taking (PET) was no longer valid for immigration purposes. This is contrary to the information on both the Cambridge and UKVI websites, of course. Anyway, to cut a long story short, she decided to register for the exam that the centre has been saying visa applicants must use (KET) and has just been furnished with quite a different entry form than was used previously. It appears to be a standard form, though its typesetting hasn't been formatted or edited professionally. It is titled 'Candidatestestdayphtoregistrationform' - as you can see it seems to elevate the concept of connected speech to new heights of absurdity. On this form there is a box to write in either the ID or passport number and it does very clearly state at the side: "For UK immigration purposes, you must use a current passport. No other ID will be accepted." It also goes on to ask you what is the purpose of taking the test and requires boxes to be ticked that authorise the immigration services to access the test result online and the exam centre to record a voice sample for Cambridge. So at least now it looks pretty clear - but what a pallava!

As regards the exam centre's flap about the validity of which Cambridge English exams may be used for applying for a spouse settlement visa, I believe I now understand what they have been talking about (erroneously). On the first page of the entry form, which lists all the exams that can be taken, it says right at the top:

'For Cambridge English: Key, only complete this form if you want to use your result for immigration purposes and need a test day photo.'

I think they have, with a remarkable display of linguistic misconception given the business they are in, misconstrued this to mean that KET is the only exam candidates can use for immigration purposes. Plonkers.