Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

English Girl, illiterate Serbian Gypsy Husband - how hard is English test

English Girl, illiterate Serbian Gypsy Husband - how hard is English test

Old Oct 12th 2012, 9:47 am
Just Joined

faithelliott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English Girl, illiterate Serbian Gypsy Husband - how hard is English test

Hi all - if you could advise me I'd be v grateful! I married my husband 6 months ago in Serbia. He is pennilless and was refused a tourist visa twice on grounds that he had no evidence of returning to Serbia.
We are both musicians and fingers crossed should have a work visa for him to work in a circus with me in the UK for 6 months from April - Sept. Can you advise me a) my wage will come to above 18,600 per annum. However this is a 6 month contract only, I am meant to be 'in employment and the point of application' - how do I prove this and do I REALLY have to be? Is is better for me to be employed or self employed - I have the choice of either. We will both work here for 6 months (I think I cannot use his wages as his work visa is only for 6 months and he should be in employment at the point of application - eg would need a 7 month at least work visa to show this) and then return to Serbia to apply from there immediately. Have I missed anything here that might cause a problem?

b) English. He is illiterate (a gypsy who has never been to school). He now speaks a bit of English because of me but cannot read and write. for the A1 needed before next October does he need to be able to read and write anything? Do you think that 6 months in the UK will get him to A1 level?

THANKYOU!! Faith
Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Girl, illiterate Serbian Gypsy Husband - how hard is English test

You need to do a lot of reading here, maybe this will answer your questions.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761780 It's long I'm afraid but has lots of links and explanations.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Nabbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English Girl, illiterate Serbian Gypsy Husband - how hard is English test

Originally Posted by faithelliott
We are both musicians and fingers crossed should have a work visa for him to work in a circus with me in the UK for 6 months from April - Sept.
Hi, I can not help you that but ... I am well acquitted with circus.

Try www.circusspace.co.uk for supporting your situation.

Please be in mind, I cant guarantee that so good luck!