EEA2 residence card CONFUSION!! :(

Old Jun 28th 2013, 11:22 am
Just Joined

robynxo is on a distinguished road
Default EEA2 residence card CONFUSION!! :(

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else but I can't find the information and I've already wasted a lot of time looking to no avail.

I am from the UK, my partner is from NZ, we will be married in a couple of years and hopefully have gone down the Surinder Singh route successfully and gained a EEA Family permit into the UK.

Ok so next...

Does my partner have to find a job before applying for the EEA2 residency?
If so - isn't it a bit of a catch 22? Aren't employers a bit funny with employing you if you only have a family permit:
While theoretically you are entitled to work on family permit, most employers want to see clear documentary evidence for it (family permit says nothing about working, whereas residence card does)
Please help with how I should go about it. I am compiling a massive list of the steps I should take for the whole process
Old Jun 28th 2013, 8:39 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EEA2 residence card CONFUSION!! :(

Originally Posted by robynxo
No. And many cannot get jobs until they receive their Residence Cards (EEA2 application) to prove their legal immigration status to potential employers.

Have a read through the second post on this EEA-Route FAQ on Immigrationboards.com forum. And reading through the whole thread should help you with your list of steps for the SS Route.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=114867

Last edited by WEBlue; Jun 28th 2013 at 8:42 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Also be aware that about 24 hours ago a news item appeared on the UKBA website here stating that some fees would be introduced from 1 July 2013 for some EEA, however it has since been taken down (it still appears in the RSS feed under "Fees for EEA applications"). From memory EEA2 was included, and I think the amount mentioned was £55.

I was under the impression that EEA applications are free of charge due to EU rules, so I'm not sure what exactly the new update was referring to in regards to the fee - or even if it was a "mistake" and not actually happening.
Old Jun 29th 2013, 1:52 am
Just Joined

robynxo is on a distinguished road

Brilliant thanks for your help guys, that's cleared it up for me and I've done loads of extra reading. I hope the EEA visa is free but if not.. oh well, have to get it anyway :/
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Also be aware that about 24 hours ago a news item appeared on the UKBA website here stating that some fees would be introduced from 1 July 2013 for some EEA, however it has since been taken down (it still appears in the RSS feed under "Fees for EEA applications"). From memory EEA2 was included, and I think the amount mentioned was £55.

I was under the impression that EEA applications are free of charge due to EU rules, so I'm not sure what exactly the new update was referring to in regards to the fee - or even if it was a "mistake" and not actually happening.
The news item I referred to has now been released again here. It seems UKBA are going to charge for documentation applications (e.g. residence card, registration certificate etc).

It seems as they're unable to charge for EEA permits then they will instead charge for documentation to prove residency and right to work, which in many cases is not necessary to have - but is useful to have.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:13 am
Just Joined

newonhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Please forum, I'm just new on here. I need help please. I have just sent my EEA2 application on 2/07/13 to Liverpool and just yesterday, my friend just rang to tell me UKBA introduced a new form with £55 fees. My application have just got to UKBA Liverpool on 03/07/13, Im confused on what to do. I have not heard from them as well because I thought they would just send back my application so that I can send it to their new office Durham but since 03/07/13 till today 11/07/13, haven't heard anything. I have tracked the document and it have been signed and collected by UKBA from the Royal Mail SD. Please, any advice? Thanks
Old Jul 12th 2013, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest reapplying using the new form and fees (as you applied after the stated cutoff of 00:01 on the 1st). My guess is it could take 6+ months before they bother to get back to you to say your application was invalid. Might be worth using the comments field in your new application to say you have an invalid application sent to the wrong address without a fee on the 2nd.

Beware - this is just based on what I would do rather than any legal or other experience
Old Jul 12th 2013, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your reply.. I will do so.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

But what should I do about the documents I have sent?? Or do I enclose the photocopy of the old form, the fees, and other photocopies of other document then explain what happened on a separate sheet of paper. Can they request the document from Liverpool office?
Old Jul 12th 2013, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

They probably can't get the documents from the other office. To get the EEA2 you should only need a letter from your spouse saying they are living with you, a marriage certificate (please tell that you have 2 or 3 originals of those), your passport with an EEA Family permit in it. (done from memory of EU rules, not UKBA implementation and not checked)

Thinking out loud here and assuming the EEA2 is a separate item and not attached into your passport I'd guess that EU rules say that you can send copies in with an explanation and everything should be OK. I'd also guess the UKBA won't play ball and will say - "original documents or no visa"

Given that you can try two things:
1) Call Liverpool, ask them to confirm that they will not be able to process your applicaiton given the date you sent it and tell them you need your documents back urgently
2) Contact the UE's free help service to ask for their guidance and if they also say you should be able to apply with copies and a cover letter - include a copy of that letter in with your application (http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/help/index_en.htm)
Old Jul 12th 2013, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for this information.. This will surely help,
Old Jul 12th 2013, 4:42 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robynxo
Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere else but I can't find the information and I've already wasted a lot of time looking to no avail.

I am from the UK, my partner is from NZ, we will be married in a couple of years and hopefully have gone down the Surinder Singh route successfully and gained a EEA Family permit into the UK.

Ok so next...

If so - isn't it a bit of a catch 22? Aren't employers a bit funny with employing you if you only have a family permit:

Please help with how I should go about it. I am compiling a massive list of the steps I should take for the whole process
My advice would be to get married first and deal with all this in 2 years. You are basically wasting your time right now as its fairly likely rules and fees will change between now and then.