EEA + SA national applying for UK Citizenship

Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Ipaduser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EEA + SA national applying for UK Citizenship

Hi.

I currently hold South African (by birth) and Italian (through by father - ancestry) passports and am considering applying for UK citizenship. I have lived in the UK for 8 years as an EEA national and may consider moving to either Aus or SA in the next two years. Before I do, I would want to make sure that, when I have children, I am able to leave them with the best legacy I can. i.e. our of my options, would it be better to hold a UK passport and should i therefore peruse this while i am in the UK?

Also, are there any rules for South Africa / Italy around how many nationalities one can hold? i.e. will i need to renounce any of my citizenships before i can apply for naturalisation in the UK?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 10:56 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EEA + SA national applying for UK Citizenship

Originally Posted by Ipaduser
Hi.

I currently hold South African (by birth) and Italian (through by father - ancestry) passports and am considering applying for UK citizenship. I have lived in the UK for 8 years as an EEA national and may consider moving to either Aus or SA in the next two years. Before I do, I would want to make sure that, when I have children, I am able to leave them with the best legacy I can. i.e. our of my options, would it be better to hold a UK passport and should i therefore peruse this while i am in the UK?

Also, are there any rules for South Africa / Italy around how many nationalities one can hold? i.e. will i need to renounce any of my citizenships before i can apply for naturalisation in the UK?
Don't know about SA, but Italy doesn't care how may nationalities you have. As you probably know, you can keep on passing Italian nationality on for an unlimited amount of generations. Of course, that could change in the future. When applying/renewing a British passport you must produce ALL passports.