EEA Permit, Pregnancy, advice?

Old Jun 6th 2013, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

alliekat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EEA Permit, Pregnancy, advice?

Hello.

If I have an EEA Family Permit to be with my British husband in the UK, and I become pregnant, are we permitted to utilize NHS for pre-natal care?

I have comprehensive sickness insurance, but due to many factors (age, health, and others) I did not take out maternity cover.

We are trying to figure out what to do, as we are still abroad whilst my husband works and will be applying for an EEA family permit. Medical care is fairly inexpensive here, so we will be paying out of pocket for initial prenatal care. We just want to know if we'd have cover in the UK as it is prohibitively expensive if we have to go out of pocket in the UK.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: EEA Permit, Pregnancy, advice?

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure I've read that if you do have a EEA family permit that entitles you to receive health care as well,

But are you sure you are eligible for the EEA family permit? That part in your case seems a little iffy to me...
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

alliekat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EEA Permit, Pregnancy, advice?

Originally Posted by Beccarose
But are you sure you are eligible for the EEA family permit? That part in your case seems a little iffy to me...
it seems iffy because I gave no details about it. I am living in another european country with my husband whilst he performs and employment contract. originally, we were going to stay here indefinitely, and we've done residency etc. however, his employment contract has not been honored and we are struggling with very low paying shift work. we'd like to go back to the uk, so will be applying for the family permit. if we don't get it, then i have to go back to america and he back to the UK for an indefinite separation whilst enduring a high risk pregnancy by myself and once again supporting two households instead of one. there you have it.