EEA FM questions

Old Mar 4th 2016, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

manchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EEA FM questions

In summary, will the US company pay me in GBP to a UK bank account? Absolutely. But they are a US company, with no UK presence, so they couldn't have me on paper as an employee, as they don't have employees outside of the US, they have contractors.

If there is a way to keep me as an employee, at no downside to them.. then I would love to explore that.

Last edited by manchester2016; Mar 4th 2016 at 7:46 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manchester2016
In summary, will the US company pay me in GBP to a UK bank account? Absolutely. But they are a US company, with no UK presence, so they couldn't have me on paper as an employee, as they don't have employees outside of the US, they have contractors.

If there is a way to keep me as an employee, at no downside to them.. then I would love to explore that.
Thank you for your response.

I don't know of a way you remain as an employee of the company within your current situation and which would be evidence of your having UK income.

Starting up a limited company (self employment) will mean you can continue your employment with the US company, but you won't be able to apply for the visa. until you have a year's accounts to qualify for the financial requirements.

In the scheme of things a year is not such a long time to be apart (lots of folks on the forum have done so) and you could always visit one another.

You did at one stage say your father in law could give you a job in the UK which would qualify. A sabbatical from your current post for 6 months maybe?
Old Mar 4th 2016, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

manchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond reputemanchester2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Thank you for your response.

I don't know of a way you remain as an employee of the company within your current situation and which would be evidence of your having UK income.

Starting up a limited company (self employment) will mean you can continue your employment with the US company, but you won't be able to apply for the visa. until you have a year's accounts to qualify for the financial requirements.

In the scheme of things a year is not such a long time to be apart (lots of folks on the forum have done so) and you could always visit one another.
A year apart isn't an option.. It looks like six+ months together in Ireland is the best of our bad options.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly research further via another immigration lawyer and/or registered visa agent. From my past career in international relocation I can suggest : Fragomen international - offices worldwide or 1stcontactvisas/com 1stcontact/com -likely to be less pricey but ask. They also help with tax and accounts. you may get an idea if uk route is viable from a conversation- preferable to email. put your situation to them and see. There may be other avenues open to you.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

ps: if you have your own ltd company as many IT contractors do, you can be salaried from your own company- the tax authorities in the UK prefer that as they get more tax than from directors paying themselves dividends after the personal allowance. so having your own company does not mean you have to be 'self-employed' status.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

pps
your wife may be eligible for another type of visa (tier2) to allow her to be in uk with you if you need time for the spousal visa conditions on your employment to become usable.. again check with an expert.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

UPDATE: Good news, I got an offer of employment that exceeds the 18,600 GBP requirement

This will be in addition to my existing job, where I will setup a limited company and invoice the US company.

Regardless, I will use the UK employment for the spouse visa for my wife.

Hopefully it should be smooth sailing now (finger's crossed)

Thanks for all your advice.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

That is good news. It will certainly make things simpler and the uk spouse visa will be better all round for you and your wife than the EEA route.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Angie, we are very excited and relieved.

I will be visiting in April to setup bank accounts and explore some of the areas of Manchester we are considering living in.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

This wouldn't be your father's company would it? .....

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Mar 8th 2016 at 8:49 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

This wouldn't be your father's company would it? .....
He offered, but I found employment elsewhere. Why do you ask?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by manchester2016
He offered, but I found employment elsewhere. Why do you ask?
Only that I thought the offer from your father was a good route to take, but you did not seem keen on it.

Congrats on the other offer.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Only that I thought the offer from your father was a good route to take, but you did not seem keen on it.

Congrats on the other offer.
Thank you, we are very excited. I appreciate your kind words and advice.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 10:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear this one has a happy ending. Come back if you need any advice for the spouse visa application.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

You may be up to speed on this and have the info but just in case....Opening bank accounts is now more difficult due to 'know your client' and money laundering regulations which are more stringent.
It may help to bring certified copies of your US bank statements (of no later than last three months) showing your address in US as part of your history. If you fill in an application the bank here will usually also write and ask your original bank for a reference.
International banks like HSBC cater more for people relocatiing countries, if you have an account with them in US it will be possible to open one in UK before you arrive in UK. This is because you may not have proof of address in the UK yet/still, the bank will give you a list of acceptable items.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.