Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Does dyslexia exempt your spouse from the English language requirement?

Does dyslexia exempt your spouse from the English language requirement?

Old Nov 12th 2016, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does dyslexia exempt your spouse from the English language requirement?

Originally Posted by Minhal
< snip > My question was not 'How can I get my dyslexic husband to learn a second language?' Also, Google doesn't have the answers to everything and sometimes it is better to ask people who have been through or are going through the same thing.

Babies are a terrible example. They learn through communication and at a ripe new age when they are just beginning their life, their brains are fresh and ready to absorb information. For an adult it is extremely difficult to learn a whole new language other than the one they were nurtured with. An adult brain has aged and will not absorb information at the same level a baby would and a dyslexic person's brain will definitely struggle triple times as much as the average person's brain.

You appear to be very well informed as to learning abilities and, indeed, about Dyslexia.

As the answers you are being given do not suffice I would suggest you pursue professional or expertise advice.

Since there is no obvious statement from the Immigration department regarding dyslexia I assume they take each application on a one on one basis and the medical evidence which is presented.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 12:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does dyslexia exempt your spouse from the English language requirement?

michaeli has already provided the link to the relevant guidance:

6.3. Evidence required to demonstrate disability

To qualify for this exemption, the applicant must apply for it in their application and submit satisfactory medical evidence from a medical practitioner who is qualified in the appropriate field which sets out the relevant physical or mental condition and from which it may be concluded that exemption on those grounds is justified. Each application for an exemption on this basis will be considered on its merits on a case-by-case basis.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Minhal
< snip > My question was not 'How can I get my dyslexic husband to learn a second language?' Also, Google doesn't have the answers to everything and sometimes it is better to ask people who have been through or are going through the same thing.

Babies are a terrible example. They learn through communication and at a ripe new age when they are just beginning their life, their brains are fresh and ready to absorb information. For an adult it is extremely difficult to learn a whole new language other than the one they were nurtured with. An adult brain has aged and will not absorb information at the same level a baby would and a dyslexic person's brain will definitely struggle triple times as much as the average person's brain.
Actually, babies are not a terrible example - babies are immersed in the language from day 1 and learn through watching, learning and experimenting with sound.
Any adult trying to learn a new language will require to be immersed in the language and culture in order to become proficient, learning situationally in context - how much more so for an adult with dyslexia. It takes motivation and a lot of immersion. Many adults fall down on learning a second language because they don't immerse themselves on a daily basis.

That being said, perhaps posters are attempting to help you to help your husband learn the language, as there is a high degree of possibility that your husband's application for exemption will be turned down.
Perhaps getting off your high horse a bit and being a little less offensive would endear you to others on the site who are only too willing to offer advice.

< snipped >

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 15th 2016 at 12:29 am. Reason: this was dealt with by myseld and a mod. Thanks
Old Nov 13th 2016, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
Actually, babies are not a terrible example - babies are immersed in the language from day 1 and learn through watching, learning and experimenting with sound.
Any adult trying to learn a new language will require to be immersed in the language and culture in order to become proficient, learning situationally in context

Which is why the basic English language requirement for a visa to enter the UK, is a lower standard to the Engish language requirement needed for further leave to remain (their second spouse visa).

"Introduce from 1 May 2017 a new English language requirement at level A2of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages for
applicants for further leave in the UK as a partner or parent, after completing 30 months here on a 5-year route to settlement under Appendix FM."
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...Accessible.pdf
Old Nov 13th 2016, 10:44 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by az2014
OP when you communicate with your husband do you try to do it in English as much as possible?
In Continental Europe, a lot of British expats married to English-speaking Europeans have to learn the language when moving to their new country - many have never learnt another language beforehand and find it very difficult. A native spouse is the best source of the language to be learnt, at least for communicating orally.
Good luck to the OP's husband with his special difficulty...
Old Nov 14th 2016, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Minhal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TrishP
Any adult trying to learn a new language will require to be immersed in the language and culture in order to become proficient, learning situationally in context - how much more so for an adult with dyslexia. It takes motivation and a lot of immersion. Many adults fall down on learning a second language because they don't immerse themselves on a daily basis.

That being said, perhaps posters are attempting to help you to help your husband learn the language, as there is a high degree of possibility that your husband's application for exemption will be turned down.
Perhaps getting off your high horse a bit and being a little less offensive would endear you to others on the site who are only too willing to offer advice.

< snipped, as this was dealt with >.
< snipped > Let me explain clearly for you; Pakistan is a majority Urdu speaking country and the places where English are spoken most are literally on the other side of Pakistan to where he lives. I currently cannot afford for him to travel there, for his accomodation and the fees for his classes. He does not earn enough and his six month's salary will just about be spent on the plane ticket alone. Also, the teaching school he last went to was so poor and lacked in teaching quality, the same is to be said of a lot of schools and colleges we have checked out. He cannot be immersed in the language when the people around him speak Urdu. Do you now see my dilemma?

<snipped>

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 15th 2016 at 12:38 am. Reason: Getting cheesed off. Be polite or place those you do not wish to read on ignore . Thanks
Old Nov 14th 2016, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You appear to be very well informed as to learning abilities and, indeed, about Dyslexia.

As the answers you are being given do not suffice I would suggest you pursue professional or expertise advice.

Since there is no obvious statement from the Immigration department regarding dyslexia I assume they take each application on a one on one basis and the medical evidence which is presented.
Thank you for your thoughtful and genuine reply, I think I will take your advice and try pursuing expertise advice.

Kind regards,
Minhal
Old Nov 14th 2016, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by az2014
OP when you communicate with your husband do you try to do it in English as much as possible?

As mentioned listening and speaking it constantly will help him improve more than reading a book will.
Always. I am constantly speaking in English to him, it's not making much difference unfortunately. Plus because of the time difference (five hours!) we hardly get to talk. 😢
Old Nov 14th 2016, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
In Continental Europe, a lot of British expats married to English-speaking Europeans have to learn the language when moving to their new country - many have never learnt another language beforehand and find it very difficult. A native spouse is the best source of the language to be learnt, at least for communicating orally.
Good luck to the OP's husband with his special difficulty...
Thank you! ☺️
Old Nov 14th 2016, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
michaeli has already provided the link to the relevant guidance:
Thank you, looking through this now.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by formula
Which is why the basic English language requirement for a visa to enter the UK, is a lower standard to the Engish language requirement needed for further leave to remain (their second spouse visa).

"Introduce from 1 May 2017 a new English language requirement at level A2of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages for
applicants for further leave in the UK as a partner or parent, after completing 30 months here on a 5-year route to settlement under Appendix FM."
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...Accessible.pdf
So are you saying the first spouse visa only requires a A1 completed test? I thought it had changed to a more difficult level of English.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 12:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Right then.
I am rather edgy and weary from two nights sleeping on my lounge floor following the rather nasty New Zealand earthquakes which are still shaking.

So. No more snippy remarks please, either from the OP or anyone else.

If anyone sees anything from the OP or anyone else that is less than polite , please hit the report button.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Right then.
I am rather edgy and weary from two nights sleeping on my lounge floor following the rather nasty New Zealand earthquakes which are still shaking.

If anyone sees anything from the OP or anyone else that is less than polite , please hit the report button.
Thank you for your attention to this, BEVS. I saw the previous post prior to amendment by moderator, and felt that the attitude and personal remarks I received were uncalled for.

I sincerely hope you and yours are well given recent events in your part of the world. Stay well!
Old Nov 15th 2016, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Right then.

I'm not giving 'snippy' remarks to anyone. When you come on a forum as a new member, you expect people to give you help and advice and obviously on the topic you asked the question on. Is it not offensive and rude to assume I have not done everything in my power and control to help my husband including and not limited to trying to set up an environment for him in which he is immersed in the English language. If people require extra information to answer the question properly then why not ask? Assumptions are rude, impolite and uncalled for.

It's fustrating enough having to go through seperation from my husband and dealing with so much, on top of that I have to deal with judgements and assumptions from people on the Internet that I have asked to help me.

Anyway, as upsetting as this all is, I'm leaving the forum. If expressing annoyance at replies that are thoroughly NOT informative or helpful is considered taboo here, I shall look elsewhere.

Thank you to everyone who replied with helpful answers.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 8:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As you wish.

Thread closed.