Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Do I really have to work for 6 months in the UK while my family stays in NZ?

Do I really have to work for 6 months in the UK while my family stays in NZ?

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

MsTwist is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Do I really have to work for 6 months in the UK while my family stays in NZ?

Hi everyone, yikes, I am slightly horrified by the new rules, if i am understanding them correctly - and I'd LOVE to be shown I'm wrong.

A bit about my situation, i have been living in NZ for 7 years, met and married a kiwi bloke and have 2 kiddies. We are thinking about moving back to the UK for 2-5 years (no set time but i can't see it being forever) to be near my family for a while and for my boys to spend time with them and develop some Britishness :0)

The situation we are in is; we don't have any note worthy savings but i could fairly easily get a decent job over there (min 35k) due to the nature of my work, my husband (the kiwi) doesn't have any job skills that would get him a work visa before anyone suggests that as an option (or british/euro relies). From my understanding of the new rules do i have to move over there - either by myself or with the kids for 6 months earning the relative amount of money before i can apply for my husband to join us? Sounds a bit extreme to me | I don't know if i could handle being apart for so long! Have I got this right or wrong?
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

MsTwist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do I really have to work for 6 months in the UK while my family stays in NZ?

I'll reply to myself then - can it count if I can show I earned a good living in NZ and then moved to the UK and got a job earning a good living there and apply straight away or do i really have to work in the UK for 6 months?

Also another thought can i go to the UK get a job, he flys over with me as a visitor, and then after 6 months he flys back to nz, we put in the application when he gets back and then he flys back out to the uk when hopefully his visa gets approved about in a month or so? Is that allowed since he wouldn't work or claim benefits etc?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I really have to work for 6 months in the UK while my family stays in NZ?

Originally Posted by MsTwist
I'll reply to myself then - can it count if I can show I earned a good living in NZ and then moved to the UK and got a job earning a good living there and apply straight away or do i really have to work in the UK for 6 months?

Also another thought can i go to the UK get a job, he flys over with me as a visitor, and then after 6 months he flys back to nz, we put in the application when he gets back and then he flys back out to the uk when hopefully his visa gets approved about in a month or so? Is that allowed since he wouldn't work or claim benefits etc?
Here are the rules for showing adequate financial requirements for getting spouse visa for UK:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary

If you decide to do the "visitor" route then you would, of course, need to show that you/he can cover his 6 month of stay in the UK
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:33 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Here are the rules for showing adequate financial requirements for getting spouse visa for UK:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary

If you decide to do the "visitor" route then you would, of course, need to show that you/he can cover his 6 month of stay in the UK
Sorry i'm confused, according to everything i've read, it is expressly forbidden for her husband to enter the uk on a visitor visa and adjust status within the country?

Unless you mean for him to just stay there as a visitor while all this is going on.

If he is found to be there for that purpose he could be deported and banned from the uk for 10 years.

Am i right in understanding the all i need to show financial support is 16,000 pounds and not have a job earning 18k a yr?

Sorry this is also a question i have as well.

Last edited by ldollard; Sep 4th 2012 at 11:40 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 11:04 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

MsTwist - if you currently earn over the UK immigration threshold with your job in NZ, and can find employment in the UK earning over the threshold, and such employment would begin within three months of your return to the UK, you don't need to be separated.

See the rules for the particulars of how to prove it to the Home Office. Not impossible at all for someone with the right type of career and connections.

idollard, the rules for supplementing a shortfall in the income threshold with savings state 16K as the baseline. If you have no job in the UK, you must show cash savings of £62500 for grant of a visa.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
Sorry i'm confused, according to everything i've read, it is expressly forbidden for her husband to enter the uk on a visitor visa and adjust status within the country?

Unless you mean for him to just stay there as a visitor while all this is going on.

If he is found to be there for that purpose he could be deported and banned from the uk for 10 years.

Am i right in understanding the all i need to show financial support is 16,000 pounds and not have a job earning 18k a yr?

Sorry this is also a question i have as well.
You asked if you could go to the UK get a job, hubby flies over on a 6 month visit, he leaves and THEN you apply for the spouse visa. Then he flies back in when visa is issued.

I said, yes, you can do that.

Hubby cannot stay in the UK as a visitor and then switch to any other visa while in the UK