Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old Jun 8th 2014, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Originally Posted by windsong
Even if my passport (old blue book) expired 10+ years ago?
In an emergency situation, yes.

N.B. Their definition of emergency may not be the same as yours.

If you are truly in the s***, a call to your nearest consulate, & polite insistence on talking to a ConOff, rather than phone operator, should help.

In really bad circumstances (I'm remembering Rwanda [& Lebanon in the '70s]), if one can get on a plane, the UK won't turn you away. I don't think this applies to your situation.

S
Old Jun 8th 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
In an emergency situation, yes.

N.B. Their definition of emergency may not be the same as yours.

If you are truly in the s***, a call to your nearest consulate, & polite insistence on talking to a ConOff, rather than phone operator, should help.

In really bad circumstances (I'm remembering Rwanda [& Lebanon in the '70s]), if one can get on a plane, the UK won't turn you away. I don't think this applies to your situation.

S
Is it really possible to talk to a consular officer who knows what he is talking about? I remember calling the UK passport office to try to get some info about the renewal procedure last year when I thought I was going home then. It was a nightmare!
Old Jun 8th 2014, 6:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really possible to talk to a consular officer who knows what he is talking about? I remember calling the UK passport office to try to get some info about the renewal procedure last year when I thought I was going home then. It was a nightmare!
TBH I don't think your employer wanting you to start work early is a good enough reason to issue an ETD...especially as you have had years to renew your PP and haven't done so. Sorry if that sounds a little harsh.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Call the consulate/embassy - ask for consular services (NOT THE PASSPORT OFFICE) & be polite, but firm & quietly insistent.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
TBH I don't think your employer wanting you to start work early is a good enough reason to issue an ETD...especially as you have had years to renew your PP and haven't done so. Sorry if that sounds a little harsh.
I'm not aware of Windsong's circumstances; I agree with the above

S
Old Jun 8th 2014, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong, do you hold a current passport from another country that you could travel on?
Old Jun 8th 2014, 6:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not aware of Windsong's circumstances; I agree with the above

S
I'm not sure what the position is...maybe if it was an important position her employer could put the case forward that she is urgently required to be in the UK within the month.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha!! Who ever said anything about an employer wanting me to start early? Not me!

You clearly do not know my circumstances, now or past, so do not say I should have renewed my passport. You are out of bounds here!
Old Jun 8th 2014, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ha ha!! Who ever said anything about an employer wanting me to start early? Not me!

You clearly do not know my circumstances, now or past, so do not say I should have renewed my passport. You are out of bounds here!
As I said, I don't know your circumstances, & was giving general advice.

Dashie had an interesting, & potentially useful question.

Depending on your answer, I might have further pertinent input.

S
Old Jun 8th 2014, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dashie
Windsong, do you hold a current passport from another country that you could travel on?
No, I don't. Only US and UK. I could go in on my US passport but was told by Border Agency a year ago that if my dogs were with me it would look as if I planned to stay and would be turned away. Sounds odd to me because I am sure some Americans take their dogs with them if they plan to stay for a few months and then return. I was, however, honest with them and sometimes it does no good, IMHO. Sad.

It is for this reason I am considering having an American friend fly with me with the dogs in her name! That way there is no confusion about US/UK.

Or . . . she will put my dogs on the plane (a nonstop flight) the day after I leave the US. I am not too keen on them being alone on the flight, though, even if I would be at the other end to meet them.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 8th 2014 at 7:39 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 7:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Correct...I was wrong...you didn't say why you needed to return to the UK within the month.

Edit: Just read your post above. I can't see why you cannot enter the UK using your US PP. You can show the IO your old blue UK PP...it's also be an idea to have your birth certificate with you...to prove citizenship and the right to enter the UK as a UKC.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 8th 2014 at 7:44 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

My sister over there is apparently not well. She is 73.

Also, as of last week, my job here went belly up which means where I live has gone belly up because I live where I work. Everything is being sold. It was a great job, too. I hadn't worked in a year and moved here to find work. Found this fabulous job! I only started about 7 weeks ago and now this. As soon as I got this job, though, I began the process of applying to get my passport renewed. I applied and paid online a month ago and was about to send out the supporting documents two days ago. Now, I don't know what to do!

I have to be out in a few weeks and can stay with a friend for a week. If I get a lease, I have to buy furniture and bang go my savings to go home! It's not worth it.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 8th 2014 at 7:49 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Correct...I was wrong...you didn't say why you needed to return to the UK within the month.

Edit: Just read your post above. I can't see why you cannot enter the UK using your US PP. You can show the IO your old blue UK PP...it's also be an idea to have your birth certificate with you...to prove citizenship and the right to enter the UK as a UKC.
When I talked to them they told me the problem is because my passport expired so long ago. If it had expired recently, it's not such a problem. They are concerned I may have given up citizenship since it expired.

If only they knew me. That is the LAST thing I would ever do!

I do understand their concern, though. But how to convince them?? But in ways I don't understand it. If they are concerned, just give me a visitor's stamp in my US passport! I will have a round trip ticket, of course. I guess that means the dogs need a round trip ticket, too.

I believe I read somewhere on the forum that a birth certificate is not evidence of citizenship.

I could have the printed online app with me that shows the reference number of my application but I doubt it would help.

In this day and age, I find it hard to believe the immigration/border agency can't prove citizenship with the swipe of a passport, even an expired one!

Last edited by windsong; Jun 8th 2014 at 7:59 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2014, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok, Windsong. You can enter the UK on your US passport; be prepared to show the same documents necessary for UK pport application, and/or your application.

Worst case scenario : you might be required to spend some extra time at the border in secondary questioning.

I sincerely don't see a problem in your case. And given that you have a US pport, you won't get a UK ETD.

S
Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok, Windsong. You can enter the UK on your US passport; be prepared to show the same documents necessary for UK pport application, and/or your application.

Worst case scenario : you might be required to spend some extra time at the border in secondary questioning.

I sincerely don't see a problem in your case. And given that you have a US pport, you won't get a UK ETD.

S
How is the questioning going to help them prove I am a UK citizen? They should be able to see this in their computers - surely.

(I appreciate your comments so much! Thank you!)
Old Jun 8th 2014, 8:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

When I talked to them they told me the problem is because my passport expired so long ago. If it had expired recently, it's not such a problem. They are concerned I may have given up citizenship since it expired.

If only they knew me. That is the LAST thing I would ever do!

I do understand their concern, though. But how to convince them?? But in ways I don't understand it. If they are concerned, just give me a visitor's stamp in my US passport! I will have a round trip ticket, of course. I guess that means the dogs need a round trip ticket, too.

I believe I read somewhere on the forum that a birth certificate is not evidence of citizenship.
From what you have posted I don't think your current situation in the US will be a good enough reason for an ETD. Your sister's health maybe a reason depending on how ill she is..a letter from her doctor/hospital would help.

All of the above aside...although it is best to enter the UK using a UK PP if you intend to reside there...as a UK citizen you cannot be denied entry if you can prove your citizenship. You can do this with your old UK PP and your birth certificate. Is that the ideal way of doing it...no...but it is a way open to you.

An original UK birth certificate...plus an expired UK PP certainly should be enough proof of UK citizenship. You could also gather other info ie NI card/number....NHS card/number etc although they are not proof of citizenship...but it may help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.