Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old Aug 5th 2016, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

loveforever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

I have been informed to attend an interview,I chose UK, my question is how long will it take to be contacted again by HMPO to book for the appointment, in my case it almost 2 weeks since I informed the Passport office regarding my preferable location of the interview, any advise will be highly appreciated
Old Aug 6th 2016, 4:00 am
Just Joined

vvrs0806 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

My wife and I are naturalised British and have applied for our daughter passport from India 4 month back. 1st week of April 2016. I have not yet received any reference number, no mails from HM Passport office to provide more documents. I have contacted them several times but they have a standard reply its under examination.

My question is how to get the reference number as they keep saying that they cannot share that with me ? Secondly what can I do to expedite the process? I have read few people has been asked for more documents and interview. But in my case I have not received any communication from them.

We might have to travel back to UK in Dec 16 to get back to work? So is there any other way to travel with your baby?

Any suggestion, comments are welcome.

Thanks
Old Aug 6th 2016, 10:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nomad_Bill
Philippine wife, one child born in the Philippines, one in Qatar

Confirmed process started at HMPO Liverpool 12th April. Gov.uk website still states 6 weeks as guidance. Now in August and still waiting .

Formal complaint proceedings have now been started.

Next step Ombudsman.

Congratulations to all those who have their kids passports.
Unfortunately you are unlikely to get much joy. Expect a wait of around 12 months for at least your Philippines-born child.
Old Aug 7th 2016, 5:40 am
Just Joined

Nomad_Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding my official complaint they've said they'll respond by the 10th August 2016. I'll decide then if I'm going to escalate.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

CJ2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi BritInParis,

I asked for advice last year on moving to the UK with my 2 children (Canadian born). I am British by descent. I chose at that time to do the Surinder Singh route. It was not the best decision.

We are now in Ireland (8 months), and I am considering your suggestion of getting my sons their Brit passports as I lived in the UK for 3 years continuously a number of years before they were born.

I haven't followed the changes much over the last year...is this still a viable option, and are the costs increased (749) over the last year for this route?

Many thanks!
Old Aug 8th 2016, 10:52 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CJ2015
Hi BritInParis,

I asked for advice last year on moving to the UK with my 2 children (Canadian born). I am British by descent. I chose at that time to do the Surinder Singh route. It was not the best decision.

We are now in Ireland (8 months), and I am considering your suggestion of getting my sons their Brit passports as I lived in the UK for 3 years continuously a number of years before they were born.

I haven't followed the changes much over the last year...is this still a viable option, and are the costs increased (749) over the last year for this route?

Many thanks!
Providing your children are still under 18 then it remains an option. That being said if you've gone down the Surinder Singh route and intend to move to the UK shortly then a better option would be to apply for EEA Family Permits and subsequently EEA residence cards for your children as planned. After three years of residence in the UK as a family you could then register your children using Form MN1 under S.3(5) rather than S.3(2).

S.3(5) confers British citizenship otherwise than by descent and means that your children could then pass on their British citizenship automatically to their own children regardless of where they were born.

The fee is now £936.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, BritInParis. I really appreciate your input. Will do.

Cheers!

Cherie
Old Aug 9th 2016, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Another quick question. In case we get refused for the family permit, I can still apply for their UK passports. Do you know how long it would take for Canadians (living in Ireland) to get this processed? I was reading previous posts that those from other countries had longer processing times.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by CJ2015
Another quick question. In case we get refused for the family permit, I can still apply for their UK passports. Do you know how long it would take for Canadians (living in Ireland) to get this processed? I was reading previous posts that those from other countries had longer processing times.
I can't give you a definite answer but count on at least three months.
Old Aug 9th 2016, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, BritInParis. That gives me something to work with, which really helps!
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Knight007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

I'm on the same situation like the rest of you. My son's first passport application was sent to Durham uk and after 2 weeks I got an email requesting more info, which I did sent and 2 weeks again another email for more documents which were again sent, so finally after 6 weeks I got an email telling me that the UK checks are done and now my application is sent to the overseas team for authentication of foreign documents, after a week i received an email from a Nairobi/Kenya office telling me that my application is in examination and they need more supporting documents and the documents requested were already submitted to the UK office, so I replied to that email telling them of the documents already submitted to uk and called also Durham/UK explained the situation and their reply was that they shouldn't ask for any more info just to authenticate the foreign documents, what a confusion? I'm flabbergasted and don't know what to do, is anyone ever be or hear that and if so what was the outcome please.

Last edited by Knight007; Aug 22nd 2016 at 4:25 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

mummykochi is an unknown quantity at this point

I was contacted 3 days after submitting application, then nothing until the interview call 8 weeks in.

It seems to be different for each country.
I applied in India- was pretty straight forward. Had passport in 10 weeks.

Now applying for second child.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You may want to consider registering the birth at the High Commission in Nairobi to avoid any similar delays or problems in the future.
My daughter born overseas and when born we went to British consulate and they issued her a passport. Would she or should we get a consular birth certificate ?
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth
My daughter born overseas and when born we went to British consulate and they issued her a passport. Would she or should we get a consular birth certificate ?
Your daughter would only get a consular birth certificate if you had applied for one. See the wiki for more information. Personally speaking I would always recommend getting one despite the initial cost as it is a valuable long-term investment.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Davsto911 is an unknown quantity at this point

For information.

Registering a child at the consulate does not speed the passport application up.It has no bearing on proving paternity.

There is an application number included on the page you have to print off when you make an online application.This page confirms the details that you have given.This number is required on all communications.ASIAN applications can take as long as 14 months.HMPO in Bangkok is notoriously slow.
Full colour copy of your passport is acceptable but must include ALL pages even blank ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.