Daughter going back to UK for University

Old Oct 11th 2012, 4:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter going back to UK for University

Originally Posted by ukgalch
Hi,
Certainly check out the UCAS website, because all UK applications have to be submitted to this centralised body. It has great parents' and students' sections, you can also search for courses and universities and find out about student finance, amongst many other things. As a student coming from another country and education system the 'tarrif tables' will be important. You use these to convert the qualifications your daughter will have to UCAS tarrif points (UK unis require a minimum number of points for entry to each course they offer).
My son did College Board APs at his school in Switzerland and these were easily 'translated' into tarrif points to get him into Leeds. Because he is a British citizen he was able to go to the UK as a 'home' student, so he did not apply as an international student (and doesn't have to pay the extortionate international fees!)
A new website, Unitstats, came online in the past week: http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/ which is billed as 'The official website for comparing UK higher education course data'.
You can also contact universities directly, but be advised that not all information is accurate and some admissions officers come back with an outright 'I don't know'. I was given completely the wrong information about my daughter's eligibility for 'home fees' from the European Officer at a Scottish uni this week! Fortunately, I'd already found out from Glasgow that she is eligible after living in Switzerland. So, if you hear an answer that you don't like, I would double check and it might change!
It is EU citizenship and residence that determines this, AFAIK (not specifically UK citizenship).

And if he was in Switzerland solely for the purposes of education (after previously being outside the EU for several years), technically, he was lucky because residence in the UK (or EU) by a child solely for the purposes of education does not qualify you for the 3-year rule. Or were you/his family also living in Switzerland/the EU?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they call themselves University Colleges depending on the course you are interested in.

There are lots of options for event management which gives us a lot of choice
Old Oct 11th 2012, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

ukgalch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
It is EU citizenship and residence that determines this, AFAIK (not specifically UK citizenship).

And if he was in Switzerland solely for the purposes of education (after previously being outside the EU for several years), technically, he was lucky because residence in the UK (or EU) by a child solely for the purposes of education does not qualify you for the 3-year rule. Or were you/his family also living in Switzerland/the EU?
We were all living in Switzerland. Before that, Hong Kong for seven years, but none of the unis questioned his application as a home student.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

After a bit more research the "home student" status or not is confusing

Just read the Sheffield website that said;

In common with other UK Universities, the University will charge a differential (higher) rate of fee to those classified as being liable to pay such a fee under the terms of government legislation (Education (Fees and Awards) Regulations as amended). The following is a summary of the definition of a home student to help you decide whether you will be liable for the home or overseas rate of fee. If you do not meet any of the conditions set out here you will be liable to pay the overseas rate of tuition fee.

(a) The student is settled in the United Kingdom on the first day of the first academic year of the course, and has been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands (Channel Islands and Isle of Man) throughout the three years immediately preceding that date, and provided that he or she has not been resident therein, during any part of the three year period, wholly or primarily for the purpose of receiving full-time education.

(b) The student is a national of an EU country or is the relevant family member of a UK national, or the relevant family member of a non-UK EU national who is in the UK as a self sufficient person or student, and has been ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area and/or Switzerland and/or specified overseas territories (see note (v) below), or for non-EU relevant family members the EEA and/or Switzerland, throughout the three year period immediately preceding that date, provided that he or she has not been resident therein, during any part of that period, wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education.

(c) The student would qualify under paragraph (a) or (b) above were it not solely for the fact that he or she was, or their spouse or parent was, temporarily employed outside the United Kingdom, the European Economic Area or Switzerland, as the case may be.

Does (c) mean she would qualify as a home student becuase we are UK expats living overseas temporarily due to work?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 5:37 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving2nyc
Does (c) mean she would qualify as a home student becuase we are UK expats living overseas temporarily due to work?
Could be. Depends on what type of visa you are on and what type of employment you are here for, etc. Eg is it a temporary contract. Are you Green Card holders?
Old Oct 11th 2012, 6:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukgalch
We were all living in Switzerland. Before that, Hong Kong for seven years, but none of the unis questioned his application as a home student.
That's because the family was in the EU, which was the point of my post - to clarify this in case people misunderstood.

If he had "been returned" to the UK or EU to finish his education while the rest of the family were outside the EU, he would not have qualified for home status.

The home status thing is a little confused/confusing, plus it's not always applied consistently, but most universities are being quite strict these days - £9,000 per year is a big incentive for them to be strict.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
Could be. Depends on what type of visa you are on and what type of employment you are here for, etc. Eg is it a temporary contract. Are you Green Card holders?
We are green card holders but intend to move back to the UK one day
Old Oct 11th 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

We are green card holders but intend to move back to the UK one day
I think you might struggle to get accepted as a home student in that case as you have permanent residency in the US - irrespective of your future intentions. You would have had more basis if you were on a temporary visa - L1 or H1 for example.

Good luck, I guess you can only try.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you move your daughter back to the UK (to stay with relatives perhaps) before she applies to University (it is she who applies, not you) then it is unlikely she would be challenged that her two year absence was anything other than temporary.
However, if you do that then you run the risk of losing her green card status. Having said that I suspect many people have got away with burning the candle at both ends, it's largely a matter of not drawing attention to yourself (it's her friends who will turn her in if she is a blabbermouth).

Cheapest way might be to live in Scotland while doing a foundation BA or BSc with the Open University, then postgrad after living three years in Scotland. Not what you had in mind for a youngster though I expect. OU seems to grant status on ordinary residence, there is no three year waiting period.
Old Oct 11th 2012, 9:34 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by holly_1948
I think if you move your daughter back to the UK (to stay with relatives perhaps) before she applies to University (it is she who applies, not you) then it is unlikely she would be challenged that her two year absence was anything other than temporary.
However, if you do that then you run the risk of losing her green card status. Having said that I suspect many people have got away with burning the candle at both ends, it's largely a matter of not drawing attention to yourself (it's her friends who will turn her in if she is a blabbermouth).

Cheapest way is to live in Scotland while doing a foundation BA or BSc with the Open University, then postgrad after living three years in Scotland. Not what you had in mind for a youngster though I expect. OU seems to grant status on ordinary residence, there is no three year waiting period.
Hmm, that might work, unless she is of school age and in education. Then she falls foul of the part of the 3-year residence rule that says you can't count a child's residence purely for the purposes of F-T education (i.e., being in school, but not living with resident parents).

The case I described about 2 years ago (see here) of my postgrad student was similar - she stayed with an aunty prior to coming to our university, and was in F-T education, and was not eligible for home fees after that.

If an adult child returns to the UK, regardless of whether they stay with relatives or not, and primarily works, after 3 years they are eligible for home fees. But back primarily for education? Not usually eligible for home fees based on that.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

More help/advise needed on getting my daughter in to UK Uni

Application submitted and first reply is that they do not accept a US high school diploma as equivalent to A levels. They only count as GCSE apparently?

Does anyone know what our next step could be?

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 29th 2012, 2:34 pm
Ping-ponger

Application submitted and first reply is that they do not accept a US high school diploma as equivalent to A levels. They only count as GCSE apparently?

Thanks in advance
That doesn't surprise me - US high school diploma is about the same level as GCSE.

Next step may be to take A-levels. It is in her best interests anyway as she may not be prepared for an undergrad education if she only has a HS diploma.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 2:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
We sent SAT and ACT scores as well as the high school transcripts.
Has she sat her SAT and ACT's yet? If not you should book her in as soon as possible, you may have to pay extra for last minute reservation.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

How about an Access to HE course? does anyone think that might be suitable?
Old Oct 29th 2012, 3:28 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
My son had to have attained certain SAT/ACT scores in place of "A Levels" and had to have graduated high school. If you don't mind me asking which university told you that? It's just my son applied to 5 UK universities and didn't encounter any such problems. Has your daughter taken any SAT/ACTs yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.