Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Confusion with: US Citizen to Marry UK Citizen (marry in the US and live in the UK)

Confusion with: US Citizen to Marry UK Citizen (marry in the US and live in the UK)

Old Oct 13th 2009, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Garieeli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confusion with: US Citizen to Marry UK Citizen (marry in the US and live in the UK)

My boyfriend (UK) and myself (USA) are planning to finally get married after dating for 4 years -- we've been visiting each other every few months and talking on Skype in between!

We want to get married in the US, and then I would return with him to the UK (Northern Ireland to be specific).

From what I've gathered from other posts, my boyfriend can come to the US on the visa waiver program and marry me within 3 months (because he is not planning on staying/ changing his status).

After the wedding we don't want to be separated -- but here is where I become confused ---
I foresee ourselves getting caught in a circle that won't let us remain together after we're married, but instead he will have to return to the UK and then apply for me to come.

If I apply for a UK fiancé visa ahead of time, it will be invalid after we marry in the USA, so that won't get me home with him after our USA wedding, right?
-- and I cannot apply ahead of time for a UK spousal visa until we are actually married, right? So that would be 6-8 months of waiting...

I know others must have gone through this! Your experience would be much appreciated.

The only idea I have is... I apply for a UK fiancé visa... we get married in the USA... I return with him to the UK, using my UK fiancé visa... I don't tell immigration that I'm married now... and then get married again in the UK... and then stay?
Is that legal ? I don't want to mess this up!
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:14 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Confusion with: US Citizen to Marry UK Citizen (marry in the US and live in the U

Originally Posted by Garieeli
My boyfriend (UK) and myself (USA) are planning to finally get married after dating for 4 years -- we've been visiting each other every few months and talking on Skype in between!

We want to get married in the US, and then I would return with him to the UK (Northern Ireland to be specific).

From what I've gathered from other posts, my boyfriend can come to the US on the visa waiver program and marry me within 3 months (because he is not planning on staying/ changing his status).

After the wedding we don't want to be separated -- but here is where I become confused ---
I foresee ourselves getting caught in a circle that won't let us remain together after we're married, but instead he will have to return to the UK and then apply for me to come.

If I apply for a UK fiancé visa ahead of time, it will be invalid after we marry in the USA, so that won't get me home with him after our USA wedding, right?
-- and I cannot apply ahead of time for a UK spousal visa until we are actually married, right? So that would be 6-8 months of waiting...

I know others must have gone through this! Your experience would be much appreciated.

The only idea I have is... I apply for a UK fiancé visa... we get married in the USA... I return with him to the UK, using my UK fiancé visa... I don't tell immigration that I'm married now... and then get married again in the UK... and then stay?
Is that legal ? I don't want to mess this up!
As Noorah101 has said - go to uk-yankee.com for the best advice and, no, you won't be waiting that long after applying for a spousal visa to receive it.

The lying to immigration thing is not advised.