Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Confused about Financials, Timing & Location for applications

Confused about Financials, Timing & Location for applications

Old Jul 18th 2015, 7:28 am
Just Joined

SGtoUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused about Financials, Timing & Location for applications

Have read and re-read various threads and documents and am a bit confused – so reaching out for some clarity
Status - British citizen living overseas, NZ wife of over 20 years
Both fully employed for many years and I earn above the GBP18,600 per year
We have property overseas for many years and the rental income is quite a bit more than the GBP18K per year mentioned in the "earnings" section of the Visa application forms

We want to run our own business but thought it would be easier to get a job first and therefore qualify via the employment route but struggling to get any headway in applications for UK jobs, seems to be based on me not being in the UK when applying

Trying to work out the best situation/path to minimize the time that we are apart, get my wife the correct visa and the times involved for entry and ability to work and lastly where to apply from

Scenario 1 - Income for other sources using rental income
I would enter the country without a job offer
Q1 – will the rental income count? (I interpret the government documents as that I may be able to use this income only to supplement savings and /or I have to be in the UK when my wife applies)
Q2 – if yes – when can my wife apply for a visa and what visa does she apply for?
Q3 – which country can she apply from? We live in Singapore but not residents or citizens
Q4 – how long does the visa take on average and can she start work as soon as it is issued
Q5 – do I have to be living in the UK at any stage prior to application?
Q6 – When would you suggest we could move to UK based on the above scenario

Scenario 2. Savings route from selling one of the properties
I would enter the country without a job offer
Q7 – in this scenario, when can my wife apply for a visa and what visa do I apply for?
Q8 – which country can she apply from?
Q9 – how long does the visa take on average and can she start work as soon as it is issued
Q10 – do I have to be living in the UK at any stage prior to application?
Q11 - When would you suggest we could move to UK based on the above scenario

In both cases – what are the suggestions for when my wife would travel to UK? (I realise this question may be redundant based on answers to the above)
Any thoughts on alternate methods gratefully accepted (excluding Surinder Singh as I am aware of that one)
Thanks
Old Jul 18th 2015, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about Financials, Timing & Location for applications

I can really only advise on Scenario 2 as it is easier! If you sold a property, once you have the cash in hand at the time of application and can show the property was yours at least for the previous six months, you could apply for the spousal visa.

As long as you meet the other requirements, such as accommodation and relationship ( the latter should be no problem but you still need to evidence you have been together all that time.)

The part that I am not sure about it the fact you are not resident in Singapore. You have to show you are legally there I think. We also were not applying from my husband's home country but we had permanent residence in the country from which we applied. Some more reading up on that part would be necessary I think.

You do not have to be in the UK when your wife applies for the visa. As a UKC you are considered settled here for the purposes of a spousal visa for your wife.

As for the time frame, you would need to look at how long it takes from either Singapore or New Zealand ( if you find she has to apply from the latter) and if you can use priority which would make it much quicker. Your wife can work as soon as she gets the visa and arrives in the UK.

The same conditions would apply if you use Scenario 1 but I am not good on the financial requirements aspect for that.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 18th 2015, 7:53 am
Just Joined

SGtoUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Confused about Financials, Timing & Location for applications

Thanks Michali - we are definitely "legal" in Singapore and have been here for more than 10 years and paid taxes etc - There are multiple statuses here in Singapore and they consist of Citizen, Permanent Resident & various different Employment passes. we are on employment passes which are generally valid for 2 years at a time - I don't think there should be any issue with stating this is where we reside - I may ask the question as a separate thread though, just to confirm.