Confirming the research

Old Aug 14th 2019, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Confirming the research

Good morning everyone,
My wife and I talked last night and nothing is concrete but we are considering moving back.

So a little background of us is that my Canadian wife got a working holiday visa to the UK in 2004, this is where we met, got married and eventually moved away to Canada in 2006, I am a born British Citizen. Last year in 2018 we had our first child.

So quickly reading and reviewing the UK family visa it looks as though.
  1. She applies as a Spouse (1,523 GBP for the application)
  2. My child does not need a visa as she is eligible to become a citizen
  3. The application will take 12 weeks (Approx)
  4. I / We need to prove I earn 18,600 GBP/year
  5. I do not need to earn extra for my child as she is eligible to become a Citizen?
  6. If successful she is granted a 2.5 year visa then she will need to extend the visa.
  7. If extension is granted for another 2.5 years she can apply for citizenship?
I think this lists covers all my assumptions but it would be ideal if I've made any bad assumptions for these to be pointed out.

In general I don't think the application will be too difficult for us but the hardest thing would be to prove the income as I would like us to move from Canada together so I may only have a job offer at the time of moving. Would this be a huge problem? It mentions cash savings above 16,000 GBP in the bank account in terms of proof is this instead of the income?

The other thing that I didn't read anywhere is that if she gets a visa is there a time limit on landing withing the country? I remember when I got my Canadian visa I had to land within a year of issuance, otherwise it would become void.

Is there anything major I'm missing?

Thanks for taking the time reading!
Old Aug 14th 2019, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confirming the research

Read the following document carefully to see how you could qualify under the financial requirements..

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ent-ext_1_.pdf

If you want to move together you can do so if a) you have been currently earning 18,600 GBP AND you have a job to go to also earning 18,600 GBP OR b) you have 62,500 GBP in savings if you can't prove income.

If issued the visa you have 30 days to enter the UK to get your BRP document.

Yes, wife needs to live in UK for 5 years before applying for naturalisation.

If your wife has British or European ancestry there could be other ways to move over.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 3:20 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Just a couple of things to add to SanDeigogirl's excellent advice.

The path to citizenship on a spouse visa is the first visa (leave to enter), second visa 2.5 years later (further leave to remain), third visa 2.5 years later (indefinite leave to remain), then application to naturalise as a British citizen.
There is a £400 per year international health surcharge for the 5 years the spouse visa is held, this is in addition to the visa application fees.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 3:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

In your list no. 4, it's you, and you only that has to earn the money, any earnins of your wife will NOT be taken into consideration, for the second application than her earnings can also be used.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you want to move together you can do so if a) you have been currently earning 18,600 GBP AND you have a job to go to also earning 18,600 GBP
They do not need to be the same job?

I.E. I could provide my Canadian jobs payslips and a Job offer? to prove this requirement?

Last edited by ArthurBrit; Aug 14th 2019 at 3:40 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
They do not need to be the same job?

I.E. I could provide my Canadian jobs payslips and a Job offer? to prove this requirement?
Yyou can have a job in Canada, and a new job in the UK OR you can have a job in Canada and be transferred over to the UK

You provide payslips/bank statements etc from you Canada job and employment letter/contract from your new/transfer job