Complicated financials, please help!

Old Sep 2nd 2019, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

alyssalou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Complicated financials, please help!

Hi guys,

I’m American trying to move to the UK where my British husband currently is. We have a bit of a complex financial situation and I’m hoping someone can help us make heads or tails of it - basically we’re trying to use 3 jobs over the past 12 months to make the £18,600.

Job 1: Started June 2018, laid off March 2019 (got married in February so were originally going to apply just after he got laid off). Annual salary £22,000

Job 2: 0-hour contract for April and May 2019 (technically still employed but no income aside from those two months). Income ~£800 for the two months

Job 3: Started June 2019, income £19,000 and raised to £20,000 in August.

So here’s the situation: We want to apply at the end of this month, otherwise because of how the numbers work out we won’t be able to apply again until he’s worked at his current job for 6 months, so December. The only problem is we’re about £400 short. He spoke to his employers today about potentially working overtime to make that up, but unfortunately they weren’t able to go for that.

What they did suggest, though, was ‘borrowing’ some of his salary from future months to make up that amount. His annual salary would be the same, so are we allowed to do that?

And just an additional question to make sure I dot my t’s and cross my i’s, I know that I’ll need a letter from each employer confirming the validity of his payslips, but do all three have to be dated within 28 days of the application?

Thanks for the help!
Old Sep 5th 2019, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

spinrs2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Complicated financials, please help!

Originally Posted by alyssalou
Hi guys,

I’m American trying to move to the UK where my British husband currently is. We have a bit of a complex financial situation and I’m hoping someone can help us make heads or tails of it - basically we’re trying to use 3 jobs over the past 12 months to make the £18,600.

Job 1: Started June 2018, laid off March 2019 (got married in February so were originally going to apply just after he got laid off). Annual salary £22,000

Job 2: 0-hour contract for April and May 2019 (technically still employed but no income aside from those two months). Income ~£800 for the two months

Job 3: Started June 2019, income £19,000 and raised to £20,000 in August.

So here’s the situation: We want to apply at the end of this month, otherwise because of how the numbers work out we won’t be able to apply again until he’s worked at his current job for 6 months, so December. The only problem is we’re about £400 short. He spoke to his employers today about potentially working overtime to make that up, but unfortunately they weren’t able to go for that.

What they did suggest, though, was ‘borrowing’ some of his salary from future months to make up that amount. His annual salary would be the same, so are we allowed to do that?

And just an additional question to make sure I dot my t’s and cross my i’s, I know that I’ll need a letter from each employer confirming the validity of his payslips, but do all three have to be dated within 28 days of the application?

Thanks for the help!
is there any burning urgent issue that means you must apply at the end of the month? i know being apart is hard trust me i have been through the same.. but given the situation and the complexity you described above if it was me i would wait until your husband has been working for a straight 6 months so you can apply straight forward category A.

obviously that just me and i lean more to the cautious side on these things because its a lot of time/money/stress that goes into the application and to have it rejected because your financials were super complicated and water tight will be devastating all for the sake of waiting 3 months until December.

Last edited by spinrs2k; Sep 5th 2019 at 12:07 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

There’s no urgent issue aside from the point that we’ve now been separated for two years, no. But we’ll be able to show that both 1) his current salary is above £18,600, and 2) that his gross income for the past 12 months is also above £18,600. If necessary, he can even have a pay raise written in at the contract level and then decreased for the following months.

I do understand that it would be more straightforward to apply in December, but I think we’re at the emotional point now where we’d rather take the risk unless someone here will tell me straight out that we can’t do it that way.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 1:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alyssalou. I have a lot of sympathy for your situation and being only £400 short must be so disappointing for you. But I have to strongly advise your husband not to have his employer falsify his pay slips. I know that the increase would be made up over the next months, but unfortunately you can't escape the fact that submitting false pay slips is immigration fraud. Your ECO will have access to HMRC records for both your husband and his employers, and if they find out about the fraud you'll not only be denied your visa, but it will also severely impact any future application you make.

I know it's hard, but you really can't risk this. Please wait until you can meet the financial requirements in the prescribed manner.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Sep 5th 2019 at 1:51 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

spinrs2k is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi Alyssalou. I have a lot of sympathy for your situation and being only £400 short must be so disappointing for you. But I have to strongly advise your husband not to have his employer falsify his pay slips. I know that the increase would be made up over the next months, but unfortunately you can't escape the fact that submitting false pay slips is immigration fraud. Your ECO will have access to HMRC records for both your husband and his employers, and if they find out about the fraud you'll not only be denied your visa, but it will also severely impact any future application you make.

I know it's hard, but you really can't risk this. Please wait until you can meet the financial requirements in the prescribed manner.
100% agree working out a fake payrise for only few months/year is absolutely not a smart idea.

Being an american citizen you could come visit for 3 months until December that way your not apart and can go back home to submit visa application in December.

Last edited by spinrs2k; Sep 5th 2019 at 3:40 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your reply, and thank you for being straightforward! It’s absolutely not my intent to commit fraud or ruin my chances of future entry to the country.

Just as a clarifying question, even if his salary was changed at the contract level and was therefore a legitimate pay rise (and subsequent legitimate pay cut), would that still be considered fraud and be grounds for denial?
Old Sep 6th 2019, 12:04 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply, and thank you for being straightforward! It’s absolutely not my intent to commit fraud or ruin my chances of future entry to the country.

Just as a clarifying question, even if his salary was changed at the contract level and was therefore a legitimate pay rise (and subsequent legitimate pay cut), would that still be considered fraud and be grounds for denial?

I know that your intentions are good and you're obviously too intelligent to deliberately do anything that would risk your future in the UK. I'm sorry but I can't give you an answer re. your husband having a salary increase written into his contract for now, and then amended after you receive a visa. I guess the salary increase in his contract,accompanied by his pay slips and corresponding bank statements would look ok to the ECO assessing your application. But I can't escape the fact that the increase/then paying it back is a deliberate act with the sole purpose of meeting the financial requirements, as he can't meet those requirements as it stands. In my opinion only, (straightforward and blunt!) that is deception, which equals immigration fraud. Personally I wouldn't do it.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Sep 6th 2019 at 12:48 am.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 12:38 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen anyone mention it anywhere but no Irish or European connection?
Old Sep 6th 2019, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

I know that your intentions are good and you're obviously too intelligent to deliberately do anything that would risk your future in the UK. I'm sorry but I can't give you an answer re. your husband having a salary increase written into his contract for now, and then amended after you receive a visa. I guess the salary increase in his contract,accompanied by his pay slips and corresponding bank statements would look ok to the ECO assessing your application. But I can't escape the fact that the increase/then paying it back is a deliberate act with the sole purpose of meeting the financial requirements, as he can't meet those requirements as it stands. In my opinion only, (straightforward and blunt!) that is deception, which equals immigration fraud. Personally I wouldn't do it.
I appreciate the honesty! I think our emotions and impatience got the better of us and we needed to hear it from an impartial source.

We will go ahead and wait until December to apply. One final question, and I can make another thread if you don’t personally know, but if he started his job on June 12th do we apply on December 12th or later, or could we apply at the end of November when we have 6 months of payslips (one of which wouldn’t be a full month’s pay)?

Thank you for your help!
Old Sep 6th 2019, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I haven't seen anyone mention it anywhere but no Irish or European connection?
No, his family is all British and I’m full American, met when I went over for Uni. The only thing we have are some British friends who now live in France but I don’t think that helps us.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 6:39 am
Concierge

I appreciate the honesty! I think our emotions and impatience got the better of us and we needed to hear it from an impartial source.

We will go ahead and wait until December to apply. One final question, and I can make another thread if you don’t personally know, but if he started his job on June 12th do we apply on December 12th or later, or could we apply at the end of November when we have 6 months of payslips (one of which wouldn’t be a full month’s pay)?

Thank you for your help!
Well done on a very sensible decision. I'm a bit reluctant to comment on your question as there are a couple of other BE members far better placed to answer that so yes, good idea to start a new thread for that one. Wishing you the very best of luck and a long and happy future in the UK.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 10:35 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

No, his family is all British and I’m full American, met when I went over for Uni. The only thing we have are some British friends who now live in France but I don’t think that helps us.
Okay. It wouldn't have been the first time that someone's parents gave them a possible additional passport that might have washed away problems like this.
Old Sep 9th 2019, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Okay, I am sure you’re sick of me by now, but I just want to make absolutely sure I’m exhausting all of my available options before I resign myself to applying at the end of the year. I’m a fairly single-minded person lol.

If my husband works overtime this month and takes a pay cut in future months, is that still in the same boat? I recognize that it’s functionally the exact same thing but without artificially raising his salary in order to meet the requirement, so I thought it would be worth asking if that could be a legitimate way to approach it. His employer has already shot down overtime, but not with the stipulation of a pay cut afterwards so that question could be posed.

I promise this is my last attempt at this, thank you!
Old Sep 9th 2019, 2:23 am
Concierge

Okay, I am sure you’re sick of me by now, but I just want to make absolutely sure I’m exhausting all of my available options before I resign myself to applying at the end of the year. I’m a fairly single-minded person lol.

If my husband works overtime this month and takes a pay cut in future months, is that still in the same boat? I recognize that it’s functionally the exact same thing but without artificially raising his salary in order to meet the requirement, so I thought it would be worth asking if that could be a legitimate way to approach it. His employer has already shot down overtime, but not with the stipulation of a pay cut afterwards so that question could be posed.

I promise this is my last attempt at this, thank you!
All of the problems I raised in the other thread would still apply. He still wouldn't have proof that he'd worked for a full 6 months with his employer, because he wouldn't have 6 full months of payslips. And he'd still be assessed on his lowest amount, ie June payslip.

Old Sep 9th 2019, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

All of the problems I raised in the other thread would still apply. He still wouldn't have proof that he'd worked for a full 6 months with his employer, because he wouldn't have 6 full months of payslips. And he'd still be assessed on his lowest amount, ie June payslip.
Sorry, I should have been more clear, this is referencing the original question posed in this thread - so if we are using the previous 12 months of employment with the intent to apply at the end of this month, but we're a little short.