Citizenship or Visa

Old Oct 16th 2023, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

RustyRichy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship or Visa

Hello Guys,
I wanted to check if anyone had a answer to this question.
My father was born in South Africa and abopted by a british citizen ( my grandfather ), Does that mean that my father would of had right of abode or british citizenship ? He was adopted when he was 8 years old. My father passed away in 2009
I am checking if I have a claim to citizenship or is a ancestry visa my only option ?
Old Oct 16th 2023, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship or Visa

Can't answer your question, but one presumes your father did NOT have proof of British citizenship when he died. i.e neither he nor HIS adopted father had looked into getting him his British citizenship.
Old Oct 16th 2023, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Yes I don't think they did as it was never mentioned. So guess that would make things more difficult if there was a way
Old Oct 16th 2023, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Think if you want the 'citizenship experts' to address your question, you need to give a few more details:
When was your father born?
When and where was HIS adopted father born? (your grandfather)
Have you got the adoption papers?
Old Oct 16th 2023, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

My father was born in South Africa in 1962 and he was adopted when he was 8 years old so around 1970 to 1973 by his adoptive father which was born in Brighton England in 1934.
No I do not have the adoption papers, but my fathers surname as Hunt when he was born and once he was adopted it changed to Heard, Which is my grandfathers surname.
Old Oct 16th 2023, 7:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Did your grandfather and father remain in South Africa?
Old Oct 16th 2023, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Yes they did and both passed away in South Africa as well.
Old Oct 16th 2023, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by RustyRichy
Yes they did and both passed away in South Africa as well.
What documentation do you to prove either adoption or birth/birth place of grandfather?

Without relevant adoption papers, birth certificates etc, even if there is a suggestion that father could have a claim to British citizenship, how do you intend to prove it?

Old Oct 17th 2023, 4:20 am
Just Joined

I have my grandfathers birth certificate from the UK and I am assuming that since my father has my grandfathers surname on his birth certificate, I could somehow try and get citizenship. I just wanted to check if anyone would know if this would be possible for me to get citizenship.

I was born in Zimbabwe in 1991
My Father was born in South Africa in 1962,
My Father was adopted in South Africa when he was 8 years old or so by my grandfather who was born in the UK in 1934.

My Fathers biological Father was born in South Africa and with some research I found out that he was adopted by his parents as well, Both adoptive mother and adoptive Father and they where both born in South Africa as far as I can tell.
Old Oct 18th 2023, 12:28 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Is it your intention to move to the UK or simply hold a British passport?
Old Oct 18th 2023, 3:59 am
Just Joined

I would like to move to the UK, without all the costs of visa's and nhs surcharge.