Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship: I intend applying for my first British passport.

Citizenship: I intend applying for my first British passport.

Old Jan 27th 2019, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Olusegun Ayorinde is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship: I intend applying for my first British passport.

Born in 1957, returned with parents in 1958. Most supporting documents are missing. Parents passports where my name was; medical records are missing. Can I still apply for first British passport?
Old Jan 28th 2019, 12:25 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship: I intend applying for my first British passport.

Born where? The UK?
Old Jan 28th 2019, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Born in UK.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Born where? The UK?
Yes
Old Jan 28th 2019, 1:02 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You’ll really only need your full birth certificate. However if you’re Nigerian then you may receive extra scrutiny and requests for further documentation.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 1:08 am
Just Joined

You’ll really only need your full birth certificate. However if you’re Nigerian then you may receive extra scrutiny and requests for further documentation.
Thanks. Nevertheless, I downloaded necessary documentations and the missing documents were included under "others", the reason I asked. Can I present affidavits for lost documents?

Last edited by Olusegun Ayorinde; Jan 28th 2019 at 1:10 am.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 1:13 am

Where exactly are you getting your information from? Can you provide a link?
Old Jan 28th 2019, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Where exactly are you getting your information from? Can you provide a link?

www.gov.UK/apply-first-adult-passport
Old Jan 28th 2019, 1:35 am

If you’re applying from Nigeria then, yes, there are a lot of extra documents that are requested. You can however only provide what you have. A covering letter explaining what has been lost or is not available will help your passport examiner to decide what he or she wishes to see in lieu.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...e_G3_10.16.pdf
Old Jan 28th 2019, 1:36 am
Just Joined

If you’re applying from Nigeria then, yes, there are a lot of extra documents that are requested. You can however only provide what you have. A covering letter explaining what has been lost or is not available will help your passport examiner to decide what he or she wishes to see in lieu.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...e_G3_10.16.pdf
Thank you so much.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

djamila is an unknown quantity at this point

i did provide a letter because my parents passports were returned when expired. it is mandatory in algeria to return expired passports to get new ones..
i explained via a detailed letter and gave more details on where we lived in the uk and approximate dates.

but i provided tons of pictures and any official documents i could get (residency, local birth certificate+ original), school records...anything showing place of birth.
it was okay.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by djamila
i did provide a letter because my parents passports were returned when expired. it is mandatory in algeria to return expired passports to get new ones..
i explained via a detailed letter and gave more details on where we lived in the uk and approximate dates.

but i provided tons of pictures and any official documents i could get (residency, local birth certificate+ original), school records...anything showing place of birth.
it was okay.
Thanks so much. I actually stayed about a year before returning to Nigeria hence, virtually no school records, scarcity of pictures except for parents wedding pictures. I also have both parents educational certificates.