Citizenship By Descent Registration

Old Oct 25th 2016, 10:06 am
Just Joined

EriBee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship By Descent Registration

Ok, So my father and his family are British citizens that moved outside the UK when he was still a minor. He still holds his citizenship but he does not currently live in the UK, his sister and other parts of the family still do. I want to register as a citizen by descent through my father, but since he nor I currently live there normally and I'm already over 18, I'm worried I won't be successful in registering. I've already got documents proving his citizenship and our familial relation, I've even got my paternal grandparents' documents. And everything the UKF form highlights (except the bio-metrics part). But reading through these forums most citizenship by descent cases are concerning minors under 18, also am I likely to be rejected because I nor my father currently lives in the UK? Its a lot of money so I really want to be sure of this
Old Oct 25th 2016, 10:39 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship By Descent Registration

What year was your father born? Was your father born in the UK? If not did his parents naturalise as British citizens? What year were you born? Which country were you born in? Was your father married to your mother at the time you were born?
Old Oct 25th 2016, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
What year was your father born? Was your father born in the UK? If not did his parents naturalise as British citizens? What year were you born? Which country were you born in? Was your father married to your mother at the time you were born?
My father was born in 1967 on a British air base in Germany, so he was immediately registered as a British citizen he and his family then later moved back to the UK for awhile. My grandparents did naturalise as British Citizens before he was born and I have both their original certificates from the sixties. I was born in 1993 in Barbados and my parents never married.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 11:22 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

In that case Form UKF is the one you want. There's no requirement for you or your father to live in the UK in order to be successfully registered. The application itself is free; you only pay £80 towards your citizenship ceremony costs.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 11:45 am
Just Joined

In that case Form UKF is the one you want. There's no requirement for you or your father to live in the UK in order to be successfully registered. The application itself is free; you only pay £80 towards your citizenship ceremony costs.
Thanks alot for your help, I thought i had to pay the £1000+ fee but I've just rechecked and you're right! Any idea of how long processing takes if I submit my application the end of October? Because I'll need my passport back by the end of January or am I cutting it to close?
Old Oct 25th 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by EriBee
Thanks alot for your help, I thought i had to pay the £1000+ fee but I've just rechecked and you're right! Any idea of how long processing takes if I submit my application the end of October? Because I'll need my passport back by the end of January or am I cutting it to close?
Might be cutting a little close. If you need to travel in January then maybe considering applying as soon as you get back.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Might be cutting a little close. If you need to travel in January then maybe considering applying as soon as you get back.
Better safe than sorry, thanks a lot again for your help 😄
Old Nov 4th 2016, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

mk1jag is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is it that an overseas born child of a male British citizen can apply or a British passport directly, but the child of a British mother has to apply for registration before they can apply for a passport.
I was born in 1953 in the US

My mother was British we have traced her family back to 1635 in England. but for me to claim my birthright I have to apply for "registration as a British citizen by a person born before 1983 to a British mother and pay a fee of over 1000 pounds. further insult is I have to send the home office my US passport who will keep it for 6 months. copies not allowed.

I think Parliament realized there was a wrong and changed laws somewhere about 2009. but whoever makes the regulations got carried away. I did call the passport office from here (USA) and they did confirm that if my father was British they would accept my application.

I hope I put this in the correct thread. does anyone have experience with form UKM? real time to process etc.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by mk1jag
Why is it that an overseas born child of a male British citizen can apply or a British passport directly, but the child of a British mother has to apply for registration before they can apply for a passport.
I was born in 1953 in the US
Well in that case you may remember that when you were growing up there was this thing called 'sexism'. I'm too young to recall it myself but it might have something to do with the way laws were passed in those days.

My mother was British we have traced her family back to 1635 in England. but for me to claim my birthright I have to apply for "registration as a British citizen by a person born before 1983 to a British mother and pay a fee of over 1000 pounds. further insult is I have to send the home office my US passport who will keep it for 6 months. copies not allowed.
Your application is free of charge. Your only financial contribution is £80 towards your citizenship ceremony. You can send a certified copy of your US passport if you need to retain the original to travel. The Home Office nationality examiner may decide to request the original but it's unlikely.

I think Parliament realized there was a wrong and changed laws somewhere about 2009. but whoever makes the regulations got carried away. I did call the passport office from here (USA) and they did confirm that if my father was British they would accept my application.

I hope I put this in the correct thread. does anyone have experience with form UKM? real time to process etc.
Section 4C registration commenced on 30 April 2003 for those born between 7 February 1961 and 1 January 1983 and for everyone born before 1983 on 13 January 2010.

Count on three to six months depending on how soon your biometrics appointment and citizenship ceremony can be arranged.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

When to apply?

Thank you all for the response to my last queston. I have another question when should we apply for registration this is actually for my wife. We are going to move to Ireland in early January. I have a UK passport already We dont want to go through the Irish Immigration process. so should she apply from the US before we go and give them an Irish address when we get one or wait until we are settled there. Our referees are in the UK and Ireland but Police report of no record is from Maine USA. If the certificate doesnt arrive before 90 day visitor visa expires she will have to leave and return to ROI. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks Floyd
Old Nov 15th 2016, 4:23 pm

When to apply?

Thank you all for the response to my last queston. I have another question when should we apply for registration this is actually for my wife. We are going to move to Ireland in early January. I have a UK passport already We dont want to go through the Irish Immigration process. so should she apply from the US before we go and give them an Irish address when we get one or wait until we are settled there. Our referees are in the UK and Ireland but Police report of no record is from Maine USA. If the certificate doesnt arrive before 90 day visitor visa expires she will have to leave and return to ROI. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks Floyd
So your wife was born in the US to a British-born mother in 1953? I would apply from the US and delay your plans until your wife obtains her British passport.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

That will be hard our house is sold relatives will only put up with us for a while.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 6:40 pm

That will be hard our house is sold relatives will only put up with us for a while.
You haven't much choice if you don't want to go through the Irish immigration process.