citizenship by descent

Old Oct 4th 2012, 10:09 am
Just Joined

ross105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default citizenship by descent

Hello,

On what date does one become a british citizen if the citizenship was acquired by descent ?

I was born in india and had an indian passport because my mother was an indian citizen at that time, I later got a british passport because my father is a british citizen. I did not get any certificate etc saying I'm citizen by descent. The indian consulate has now asked me for documents to prove my british citizenship by descent, I've nothing other than the passport.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:37 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citizenship by descent

Not much of an idea what Documents they are looking for, maybe proof that your father was born in UK or was a UK citizen from naturalization? along with your Indian Birth certificate. Proof they were married maybe/
When you are Citizen by descent you are one from birth.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 10:25 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

The only documents you can supply are those that you used to apply for your British passport, presumably your father's birth certificate, your parents' marriage certificate, and your birth certificate. As Mummy-itf said, you have been a British citizen from the moment of your birth.

If that fails, you may be able to get a letter from the British authorities (if you're in the UK, then UKBA) stating that your citizenship status.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
When you are Citizen by descent you are one from birth.
Unless your parents wed each other after you were born.
In that case you are a Citizen as of the date of the marriage.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 8:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Unless your parents wed each other after you were born.
In that case you are a Citizen as of the date of the marriage.
Doesn't that only come to play depending on your age?
I think JAJ is the one to ask on this.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 12:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ross105
Hello,

On what date does one become a british citizen if the citizenship was acquired by descent ?

I was born in india and had an indian passport because my mother was an indian citizen at that time, I later got a british passport because my father is a british citizen. I did not get any certificate etc saying I'm citizen by descent. The indian consulate has now asked me for documents to prove my british citizenship by descent, I've nothing other than the passport.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
You've not told us when you were born, where your parents were born, or whether your parents were married. However I will make two observations:

1. British citizenship by descent is often automatically acquired at birth and you do normally get a citizenship certificate. Normally, a British passport, Right of Abode stamp in a foreign passport, or a consular birth certificate may evidence British citizenship.

2. You should check with an Indian lawyer, but even if you were dual Indian/British at birth, you may have lost your Indian citizenship when you acquired a British passport.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

ross105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your replies.

As many of you pointed out, the consulate has now asked me for my father's naturalisation document and my birth certificate.