Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship advice needed: Brit father, over 18, illegitimate.

Citizenship advice needed: Brit father, over 18, illegitimate.

Old Aug 8th 2012, 3:55 am
Just Joined

MissTea is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Citizenship advice needed: Brit father, over 18, illegitimate.

Hello,

I'm hoping someone here may be able to give advice. I was born to a British father and Australian mother in Australia. Parents weren't married when I was born but subsequently married. My father lives here now and is a dual citizen. The UK border agency website is very ambiguous about my eligibility for citizenship by descent. I'm over 18. It seems like they probably assess these things on a case-by-case basis, but does anyone know whether or not a typical person in my scenario would be able to apply for a passport successfully?

Thank you,
MissTea
Old Aug 8th 2012, 4:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship advice needed: Brit father, over 18, illegitimate.

Originally Posted by MissTea
Hello,

I'm hoping someone here may be able to give advice. I was born to a British father and Australian mother in Australia. Parents weren't married when I was born but subsequently married. My father lives here now and is a dual citizen. The UK border agency website is very ambiguous about my eligibility for citizenship by descent. I'm over 18. It seems like they probably assess these things on a case-by-case basis, but does anyone know whether or not a typical person in my scenario would be able to apply for a passport successfully?

Thank you,
MissTea
What passport do you want to apply for? You don't say
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Oops - a UK passport!!
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Were youborn before or after 1983?
Old Aug 9th 2012, 12:49 am
Just Joined

After 1983.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 3:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I understand, Australian and U.K. laws on legitimacy and legitimation by marriage are similar. So it doesn't matter whether your father was domiciled (not easy to prove change of domicile) in the United Kingdom or Australia when your parents married - either way, you were legitimated when they got married.

Read the Home Office document LEGITIMACY:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si.../nisec2gensec/

And, as a result, under section 47 of the British Nationality Act you normally are treated from the date of marriage as if your parents were married. So if your father is U.K. born you became British at that date.

Don't assume anything until you have applied for a British passport disclosing relevant facts and it has been issued, but there is reason for hope.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 7:53 am
Just Joined

JAJ, your advice has been helpful. I am hoping to send my application in next week. I am still a little puzzled about the "domicile questionnaire" (given that it has questions about polygamy) but I will call their passport helpline and check about what documents I need. Thank you.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Well I applied about a week ago so we'll see how that all goes. Trying to speak to a person at UKBA is frightfully difficult and when you do they will probably not be able to help you and just refer you to a webpage, as they did to me. I was then told to send an email to a particular place with my query, only to receive a response saying "you will not receive a response, go to this webpage instead". Beauracracy at its finest!
Old Aug 24th 2012, 12:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Father's domicile should be irrelevant in this case. Also, you're the applicant and someone else cannot be forced to complete a questionnaire of this nature.

Ultimately, the decision on who is and is not a British citizen is a matter for the courts, not the passport service or the UKBA. But hopefully it should not come to that.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 1:17 am
Just Joined

JAJ and others, thank you for your help. My new passport arrived just two weeks after my application and it appears all went smoothly. My next thing to do is to work out if my husband will be able to live and work with me in the UK/Europe if we decide to move there. He's not eligible for UK citizenship and is an Australian citizen. He's also over 30 so he won't be able to work there without having some sort of a marriage/spousal visa.
I also wonder if a UK marriage visa would prevent him having to obtain a new visa for every EU country visited.

Last edited by MissTea; Sep 4th 2012 at 1:26 am.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:39 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by MissTea
JAJ and others, thank you for your help. My new passport arrived just two weeks after my application and it appears all went smoothly.
Congratulations. Keep a copy of your passport in a safe place and when you renew it in future, keep the old one. Also keep spare (official) copies of your birth certificate, parent's birth certificates and their marriage certificate, just in case you ever need to re-evidence your British citizenship.

My next thing to do is to work out if my husband will be able to live and work with me in the UK/Europe if we decide to move there. He's not eligible for UK citizenship and is an Australian citizen.
In the U.K. - he needs a spouse visa unless he is eligible for something on ancestry grounds.

In another European state, he needs a visa or permit issued by that country. Under current laws, you would normally be able to sponsor for that permit. However, he won't qualify for British citizenship and depending on the law of the country concerned, getting local citizenship may be difficult or impossible.

Also you should understand that you're British "by descent" and as a result, if you have children born in another EU/EEA state they won't automatically be British citizens. And in most EU/EEA states, if you have children they won't get local citizenship either (the main exception is Ireland -children of British citizens born in Ireland are automatically Irish citizens).

I also wonder if a UK marriage visa would prevent him having to obtain a new visa for every EU country visited.
He will always need a visa to live in any other EU/EEA state unless he first becomes a British citizen - assuming there is still free movement of persons by then.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:01 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Citizenship advice needed

Thanks JAJ.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Ashah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi miss tea!
I was going thought your posts and I figured out I have the similar situation ! But my father n mother were married before my birth year which 1990, they got married in 60's ..And m about to apply as well need a lil advice on which form you used naturalization AN form?
Ill b paying alot of fees for that I hope that's the right form kindly help me out here
Regards
Ashah
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashah
Hi miss tea!
I was going thought your posts and I figured out I have the similar situation ! But my father n mother were married before my birth year which 1990, they got married in 60's ..And m about to apply as well need a lil advice on which form you used naturalization AN form?
Ill b paying alot of fees for that I hope that's the right form kindly help me out here
Regards
Ashah
I notice MissTea hasn't been back here since 6 Sept last year. I hope that someone else here can help you with this query.

Good luck to you.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Ashah is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I really hope so
As I intend to apply this week plus m new to this site!
Lets hope for the best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.