Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Child's first passport from abroad - can anyone explain this?

Child's first passport from abroad - can anyone explain this?

Old Apr 24th 2015, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

matthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to allmatthewc is a name known to all
Default Child's first passport from abroad - can anyone explain this?

Hi,

No matter how many times I read this, I can't make sense of it. (Numbers added for discussion.)

Parents' documents, provide the following:

If applicant [1] born or adopted outside the UK – parents' [2] or adoptive parents' documents

- The passport you [3] entered the country from which you are applying or any non-British passport held. If the birth certificate you provide [4] has not been issued by a British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate showing parents' details, also please provide:

-- If born on or after 1 January 1983, also please provide:

--- One of your parents' [5] full birth certificate (showing both the child's and parents' details) or naturalisation or registration certificate; and

--- If this is your father, his marriage certificate to your mother [6] (this does not apply for those born on or after 1 July 2006).
What's confusing is the ambiguous use of "you" in a section labelled "parents' ... documents"

[1] Applicant is my daughter.

[2] Parents is myself and my wife. So far so good.

[3] Here's where we get ambiguous. Is this my passport, or my daughters? My daughter doesn't have any passports. Do they want the passports for both myself and my wife?

[4] Is this my daughter's birth certificate, or mine?

[5] Is this my birth certificate (or my wife's), or do they want one of my parents' (her grandparents') birth certificates?

[6] This does not apply as she was born after 2006, but would it be my marriage certificate, or my parents' (her grandparents') marriage certificate.

-10 crystal mark for plain english points to whoever wrote that one, in my opinion.

Thanks to anyone who can clarify,
Matthew
Old Apr 24th 2015, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

knighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really niceknighstrike is just really nice
Default Re: Child's first passport from abroad - can anyone explain this?

I have just applied for a UK adult passport for myself. Requirements for both doesn't differ much as I recall.

1. All of your birth certificates (e.g. father, mother and child).
2. You and your wife's passports (certified/notarised copies are okay)
3. Marriage certificate
Old Apr 25th 2015, 11:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Your daughter is the applicant so "your" and "you" refers to her and "your father/mother/parents" refers to you and your wife.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Lobna is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the same boat as you. Very confusing!

I'm curious to what you ended up sending as supporting documents.