Children Applying for Right Of Abode in the UK

Old Aug 10th 2015, 5:23 am
Just Joined

urwahsaari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Children Applying for Right Of Abode in the UK

Hi,
Thanks for accepting me into this forum. I have few enquiries about Right of Abode.

1) My wife and I were born in the UK in 1981 and we are holding Malaysian nationality. We have applied for the certificate of entitlement ROA through visa4uk online application recently. We are waiting for the decision.

2) We have 4 kids from our marriage, all born in Malaysia. What are the options open to my children if we are taking them to the UK?

Hope anyone can give us some advise.

Thanks
Old Aug 10th 2015, 10:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children Applying for Right Of Abode in the UK

You and your wife are British citizens by birth so your children will be British citizens by descent. You all therefore hold Right of Abode in the UK. As holding British passports are not an option for you if you wish to retain your Malaysian citizenship then you should be also looking at obtaining Certificates of Entitlement to Right of Abode in the UK for your children. Bear in mind that these certificates are far more costly than obtaining British passports - six certificates applied for from outside the UK will cost you £1734.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your response.
Is't something strange if me and my wife apply for the certificate of entitlement to right of abode while our children apply for British passport?

It's true indeed, the certificate cost more than british passport and I would rather get a cost saving solution.

What is our circumstance upon entering UK border?
Old Aug 11th 2015, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

BritinParis is saying that as you are all currently Malaysian citizens , if you apply for British passports you have to give up Malaysian citizenship. This applies to your children as well. so they also need Certificates of Entitlement.

I don't know what would happen at entry into UK but presumably you show your Certificate of Entitlement and are treated like a British citizen.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 2:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quiltman
BritinParis is saying that as you are all currently Malaysian citizens , if you apply for British passports you have to give up Malaysian citizenship. This applies to your children as well. so they also need Certificates of Entitlement.

I don't know what would happen at entry into UK but presumably you show your Certificate of Entitlement and are treated like a British citizen.
Thank you britinparis n quiltman.

This is more technical question.During my submission to ukvi, I've named all my kids as my dependants which will follow me travel to the UK. However, I wasn't required to handover my children's passport during the document submission at the VAS in KL.

Do I need to place separate certificate of entitlement's application for each kid now?

I've emailed and called (£1.67 per minute) for the enquiries, but none of the officer really give the needed answer.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 10:24 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you want your children to be able to exercise their Right of Abode in the UK as British citizens by descent then you have two options: a) obtain their British citizen passports or b) obtain their Certificates of Entitlement to Right of Abode in the UK.

Since obtaining British passports, even if already a British citizen, can cause a Malaysian citizen to lose their Malaysian citizenship you would be taking a gamble in obtaining British passports for yourself or your family so that leaves you with Option B.