Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Child born in the UK to SA mother and British (ancestry) father

Child born in the UK to SA mother and British (ancestry) father

Old May 22nd 2011, 11:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child born in the UK to SA mother and British (ancestry) father

Originally Posted by pimpmycode
Hi JAJ, in such a case where a child is born outside of the UK, when we are ready to return to the UK with my wife on a marriage visa, would our child (under 5 years old) have to apply for a visa as well? Would our child have to wait (whilst living in the UK) until the age of 18 before becoming a British citizen?
If child is not a British citizen, child absolutely needs a visa unless the child happens to have an EEA/Swiss passport.

Child can become a British citizen before age 18.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...ritishcitizen/

Pay particular attention to the sections describing section 3(2) and 3(5) registrations.
Old May 23rd 2011, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

pimpmycode is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
If child is not a British citizen, child absolutely needs a visa unless the child happens to have an EEA/Swiss passport.

Child can become a British citizen before age 18.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...ritishcitizen/

Pay particular attention to the sections describing section 3(2) and 3(5) registrations.
Thanks a lot for replying JAJ, i appreciate the time you take.

With regards to Section 3(2) one of the requirements is:
the parent who is British by descent was born to a parent (the child's grandparent) who was a British citizen otherwise than by descent (or would have been but for their death);

I am British by descent and so is my father i assume as he was born outside of the UK.

So if the child is born outside of the UK and does not meet the requirement above then what happens, does the child stay on a visa until the age of 18? What type of visa is it that the child needs, if my wife is applying for a marriage visa?
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pimpmycode
Thanks a lot for replying JAJ, i appreciate the time you take.

With regards to Section 3(2) one of the requirements is:
the parent who is British by descent was born to a parent (the child's grandparent) who was a British citizen otherwise than by descent (or would have been but for their death);

I am British by descent and so is my father i assume as he was born outside of the UK.

So if the child is born outside of the UK and does not meet the requirement above then what happens, does the child stay on a visa until the age of 18? What type of visa is it that the child needs, if my wife is applying for a marriage visa?
Section 3(2) does require a British "otherwise than by descent" grandparent. In other words, it is limited to the 2nd generation born overseas.

But if you are planning to live in the UK, you should normally look at section 3(5) instead. This registration gives British citizenship otherwise than by descent and the eligibility is based on residence in the UK.

Child can be added to your wife's spouse visa (not "marriage visa" as that is something different) as a dependent and can normally get permanent residence (ILR) at the same time. Complications arise if child turns 18 before ILR is granted - is that a risk considering the age of the child?