Certificate of Registration

Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:58 am
muc
Just Joined

muc is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Certificate of Registration

Hey everyone,

This is my first post, and I'm hoping you might be able to assist me. I'm an American citizen, but my mother was a citizen of the UK at the time of my birth (1981). She kept her UK citizenship until about 1990 and then switched to US.

I'm starting the process of registering as a British citizen by descent, but one of the requirements has both my mother and I confused. Along with form UKM (citizenship by descent, from the mother), you have to submit the following documentation:

Originally Posted by Guide UKM
Your passport; and Your full birth certificate; and

Your mother’s full birth certificate;

and either

Her certificate of naturalisation or registration as a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies (or, before 1 January 1949, as a British subject);
or
Papers showing her legal adoption;
or
Her expired citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies passport
My question is regarding the certificate of naturalisation or registration. What is that, exactly? I've done numerous searches of the Home Office and Boder Agency websites, and I also searched these forums.

My mother has never heard of it, and she was born in Scotland, and was a genuine UK citizen until 1990. She has her birth certificate, but we don't know how to obtain the above-mentioned certificate, or if she ever had one.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Certificate of Registration

Originally Posted by muc
My question is regarding the certificate of naturalisation or registration. What is that, exactly? I've done numerous searches of the Home Office and Boder Agency websites, and I also searched these forums.
That option wouldn't be relevant for your mother, however her expired passport option is.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:10 am
muc
Just Joined

Is there anything she could do to show she previously had one? She hasn't had a UK passport in sometime. Incidentally, my older brother and I were hoping to apply together, so I was hoping there would be a form we could both get copies of.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

My husband just went through all this - he submitted his mother's birth certificate and his birth certificate and that was all that was needed for him. His mum didnt have a UK passport - well, not one that we could find, she emigrated to Aus as a child. We were confused about the registration thing as well, but her birth cert is evidence of registration.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

UK birth certificate evidences acquisition of British citizenship. Old passports are often lost or otherwise unavailable and they cannot refuse UKM simply because you cannot supply one.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:31 pm
muc
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
My husband just went through all this - he submitted his mother's birth certificate and his birth certificate and that was all that was needed for him. His mum didnt have a UK passport - well, not one that we could find, she emigrated to Aus as a child. We were confused about the registration thing as well, but her birth cert is evidence of registration.
Originally Posted by JAJ
UK birth certificate evidences acquisition of British citizenship. Old passports are often lost or otherwise unavailable and they cannot refuse UKM simply because you cannot supply one.

Thanks quoll and JAJ. Great to hear! Looks like my brother and I should be able to do this together, then.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 5:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muc
She kept her UK citizenship until about 1990 and then switched to US.
She's a duel citizen. One doesn't lose UK citizenship by taking out US citizenship.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 3:52 am
muc
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
She's a duel citizen. One doesn't lose UK citizenship by taking out US citizenship.
I thought that was actually part of the deal. This website (one of the first responses to my google search) indicates so.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/law.html

Either way, glad I have the option to pursue this! Thanks again, everyone.