Canadian seeking UK Dual Citizenship

Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:12 am
Just Joined

jess1cagraham is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Canadian seeking UK Dual Citizenship

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and hoping for some answers. I would appreciate any help I can get.

I am trying to figure out this whole dual citizenship situation, I have been researching for weeks because I am looking to move there for work. My mother is a UK born citizen, so I am in the understanding that I am a citizen by decent. I have also researched that there was a British Nationality Act of 1981 which is not applicable to me because I was born in 1989. I would like to apply for a British Passport and send my documents to Washington, but my mum is a little weary of sending our original birth certificates. It also says I need to send my mum's british passport, but she does not have one, only a UK long-version birth certificate. Since it costs $211 CAD to send these applications I want to make sure I do it right, and I would rather not call the line because it is almost $3.00 per minute! If anyone has been through this situation, any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Jessica
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian seeking UK Dual Citizenship

1. The British Nationality Act 1981 came into force on 1.1.1983 so it does apply to you. Based on the facts presented, you appear to be a British citizen by descent.

2. You need to send the birth certificates. If this is a problem, order new ones from the birth registries before you send anything away.

3. Don't worry about mother's passport. Not every British citizen has one.

Has your mother become a Canadian citizen?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:38 am
Just Joined

jess1cagraham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. The British Nationality Act 1981 came into force on 1.1.1983 so it does apply to you. Based on the facts presented, you appear to be a British citizen by descent.

2. You need to send the birth certificates. If this is a problem, order new ones from the birth registries before you send anything away.

3. Don't worry about mother's passport. Not every British citizen has one.

Has your mother become a Canadian citizen?
Thank you for a response! Yes, my mother is a Canadian Citizen, she has been living in Canada since she was 4 years old and holds a Canadian Passport. Do you think getting a passport is the correct document I need to work in the UK? I know I can also get nationality certificate and a citizenship card through the UK Border Agency but they are worth double the cost of a passport.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:39 am
Just Joined

mel39 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jess1cagraham
Thank you for a response! Yes, my mother is a Canadian Citizen, she has been living in Canada since she was 4 years old and holds a Canadian Passport. Do you think getting a passport is the correct document I need to work in the UK? I know I can also get nationality certificate and a citizenship card through the UK Border Agency but they are worth double the cost of a passport.
yep - British passport is all you will need.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

STB74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,
I was born in Canada but my father and mother were both born in the UK (Glasgow). They emigrated to Canada after marrying but before I was born. My question is two-fold... 1) Can I apply for dual citizenship and obtain a British Passport while still retaining my Canadian citizenship AND 2) If I were to eventually marry another Canadian citizen, is she eligible for dual citizenship in effect due to my obtaining dual citizenship? Her ancestral ties to the United Kingdom are more distant than mine (great grandparents were from England).
Any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 3:27 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by STB74
Hello all,
I was born in Canada but my father and mother were both born in the UK (Glasgow). They emigrated to Canada after marrying but before I was born. My question is two-fold... 1) Can I apply for dual citizenship and obtain a British Passport while still retaining my Canadian citizenship AND 2) If I were to eventually marry another Canadian citizen, is she eligible for dual citizenship in effect due to my obtaining dual citizenship? Her ancestral ties to the United Kingdom are more distant than mine (great grandparents were from England).
Any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated!
1 Yes.
2 No