Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Can I get an Irish passport then give up uk citizenship to bring non eu spouse to uk

Can I get an Irish passport then give up uk citizenship to bring non eu spouse to uk

Old Jan 20th 2014, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Katy87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Can I get an Irish passport then give up uk citizenship to bring non eu spouse to uk

Hi my grandfather was from ireland so I can claim the passport.
If I do this then give up my British citizenship can I bring my spouse from china to the uk?
I just want to know would she be able to apply for the eea visato the uk withoit me leaving the uk for her?
Would I be able to claim any financial help until I find a job in the uk? I don't work now find it hard getting a job been a single parent now
Also what steps would I so to keep my partner her?
I know in ireland you apply for ppi ect and get a job.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice
Default Re: Can I get an Irish passport then give up uk citizenship to bring non eu spouse to

My civil partner is also Chinese and I have both Irish and British citizenship. I'm currently considering renouncing British citizenship and having him apply off the back of my Irish passport. However, things aren't necessarily so simply. There's a lot of debate on this topic.

Your wife will be able to apply for the EEA family permit from the British Embassies in China (there are about 5 if I remember correctly). HOWEVER, if you are already in the UK you will have to provide evidence of how you (as an Irish citizen) are exercising your EU treaty rights in the UK, e.g. working/self-employed etc.

I wouldn't claim any financial help from the government without first checking how it would affect your wife's application. Jobseekers may not be a big problem but I'm really not sure how this would work and you would be best to get a job asap. Most people say that any kind of job is acceptable as long as it is real and genuine. Some people have told me that a part-time job is enough (most say something around 15 hours per week).

Where are you now? In the UK or in Ireland?
Old Jan 20th 2014, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Katy87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can I get an Irish passport then give up uk citizenship to bring non eu spouse to

Hi I'm in a civil partnership to. I was looking into doing the ss route in Republic of Ireland but it could be expensive.
Right now I live in England and have always lives here. But my grandad was Irish and my mum has an Irish passport to through that and I know I can claim one. I have found it very difficult getting a job in the uk and have been on job seekers for a couple of years and get housing benefit. I find it had working because I'm a single parent now and not flexible with working hours.
I was confused if I get the Irish passport and then renounce my citizenship would I have to give up or cancel my national insurance number then apply for a new one? I could always move in with my mum temporary to still my housing benefit claim. But I think claiming jsa until I find work might the ok.
It's quite complicated I don't know anyone who has done this way before.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 2:52 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

katy by living now in the UK then renouncing British citizenship & getting the Irish citizenship might not 'directly or immediately' qualify your non EEA partner to move to the UK on the basis you would have Irish citizenship

There is a case similar to what you are thinking on the surinder sungh route 'the McCarthy' case that disallowed the 'once was a UK citizen living in the UK using Irish citizenship to move their non EU partner in under the SS route.

http://eumovement.wordpress.com/category/ecj/

All quite complicated & as you know when there is a loophole the UK government will find a way to shut it down.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780448

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...eun2/#header14

Having lived in the UK you have an NI number & if you've ever collected any social benefits then you are tagged even if you rennouce British citizenship then take Irish citizenship.

Its only my opinion but I think to do what you're thinking you have to show that you have left the UK before coming back to exercise the EEA family permit

Maybe others can add to this
Old Jan 20th 2014, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Your national insurance number won't change...Irish people in England will also have a national insurance number.

You might want to email whoever pays your benefits to see how it would work if you were only Irish. HOWEVER, remember that you will need to be working/self-employed for it to work under the EEA laws...if you're purely on benefits it wouldn't work (I think).

I guess it's complex if you're on benefits...I know it's hard but I'd be trying to save up as much as you can for now and thinking about getting a job asap. Moving in with your mum might be a good idea.

You will be able to get Irish citizenship through your mother BUT please remember that dual nationality has its own problems. I'm not able to go through Surinder Singh in either the UK/Ireland...cos I have citizenship for both! I'm going to renounce my British citizenship soon and attempt to rely on the Irish citizenship to get him back to the UK. I won't be trying to get any benefits though so our situation may be a bit different than yours.

There is a gay/lesbian immigration website that you should go and read: www.uklgig.org.uk.

Also, don't forget: www.immigrationboards.com.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:48 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

much discussion on here

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=mccarthy

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=mccarthy
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 3:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If the only tie to Ireland/Northern Ireland is via a grandparent then Irish citizenship isn't automatic - it has to be applied for and granted via Foreign Birth Registration. That's before an Irish passport can be applied for.

As to the rest, it's not clear whether UKBA will accept (or continue to accept) that a former British citizen, especially one continuing with U.K. residence, is really "exercising treaty rights". In addition, one should not plan on any entitlement to resume British citizenship later on. Registration as a British citizen would be at the discretion of the Secretary of State and there's no clear indication as to how that discretion will be exercised in such a situation. There is no precedent.