C1 Form Queries - Previous Passports

Old Apr 19th 2012, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Lilly93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default C1 Form Queries - Previous Passports

Hello,

I am a New Zealand-born British citizen by descent. I was born in 1993 to a Northern Irish father who was married to my Canadian mother in New Zealand in 1991. My question is: in Section 4, where previous passports are mentioned, need I attach my previous NZ passports and fill out the passport numbers? I have had two New Zealand passports. Both have now expired, and I have lost the most recent one. Having read another thread on here, I gather that mention of the New Zealand passport proves that my birth has already been verified by New Zealand and helps my application progress faster.

Also, should I mention the passport number of my most recent passport (which I know)?

If I attach my first passport, is this sufficient proof of having had a previous passport and verification of my birth?

It's all so confusing.

Regards,

Lilla
Old Apr 19th 2012, 10:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: C1 Form Queries - Previous Passports

Despite what form C1 says, you do not need to send your previous NZ passports. Look at the document checklist:
http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/res...ndfatherbornUK

You do need to include one form of ID, but it can be a photocopy.

Was your mother born in Canada? If yes, you're also a Canadian citizen by descent. Even if she wasn't born in Canada,
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:53 am
Just Joined

So does that mean I tick 'no, I have not previously held a passport'?

My mum was born in Italy to Canadian parents in 1968 and raised in Toronto.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 12:34 am
Just Joined

LMcCaughan is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: C1 Form Queries - Previous Passports

Hey, I have a similar query.... question 4 is confusing!
My Dad was born in Northern Ireland and Mum in New Zealand. I'm applying for my british passport for the first time.

Question 4 asks whether I have had a passport document before which is Yes (NZ passport). Have I included it in this application which is No (I don't want to post in my current passport - I could possible send in an expired one?).

Any advice would be great!

Cheers,
Lucy
Old Apr 21st 2012, 8:26 am
Just Joined

I was thinking I would just tick 'Yes' and write out the details in the explanatory notes. I've already ticked that I'm applying for a First Adult Passport on the front page. It's just so confusing :/
Old Apr 21st 2012, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

LMcCaughan is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. Am going to tick YES have had one and then include my old passport.
On the extra comments part i'll write the details of my new passport and explain that I need it hence why i didn't post it in.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:57 am
Just Joined

LarsMagnus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

I am filling out my first UK passport application form (I hold dual citizenship and was registered as a British citizen through descent from my mother- I was born in Sweden in 1978).

I´ve had a name change, so the surname on my certificate is different from the one in my application. I also have a cancelled Swedish passport with my old surname and a new one with my new surname; I should enclose both in my application, right?

Also, I find section 2 particularly frustrating: My father is Swedish and was Swedish at the time of my birth. My mother was and is British. I gather that I am supposed to fill out the details of both my parents, but I have no idea what I am going to fill out concerning my father´s "immigration status in the UK at the time of my birth". Does anybody know what I should fill out in that section?

Regards,

Magnus
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 4:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LarsMagnus
Hi!

I am filling out my first UK passport application form (I hold dual citizenship and was registered as a British citizen through descent from my mother- I was born in Sweden in 1978).
So you should have a Home Office Certificate of Registration as a British citizen. They will need to see this. Keep a copy in case the original gets lost.

If you acquired British citizenship before 1 July 2001, you may have lost your Swedish citizenship at that time.

I´ve had a name change, so the surname on my certificate is different from the one in my application. I also have a cancelled Swedish passport with my old surname and a new one with my new surname; I should enclose both in my application, right?
It may be acceptable to enclose copies of your passports rather than the originals.

Do you not have some official confirmation of your change of name?

Also, I find section 2 particularly frustrating: My father is Swedish and was Swedish at the time of my birth. My mother was and is British. I gather that I am supposed to fill out the details of both my parents, but I have no idea what I am going to fill out concerning my father´s "immigration status in the UK at the time of my birth". Does anybody know what I should fill out in that section?
Immigration status, etc, is irrelevant to your claim to British citizenship as long as you have a citizenship certificate. Are you sure that section of the form applies to you? If you are sure, then fill it as best you can but cross out the parts not applicable.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

LarsMagnus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

Yes, that I know. I will send my registration document enclosed in my application.

In section 4 of the C1 form, if you tick the box "previous passport/ travel document not attached", you are redirected to section 5 where you are supposed to give details about how the passport was lost, stolen or is not available. It is not that it is not available, it is just that I would like to avoid sending originals (the last passport I used for travel was my now cancelled passport- cancelled due to my name change). I COULD send them both, but on the other hand, it says on the "supporting documents" part of the Dusseldorf homepage that I only have to send my certificate of registration as well as a photocopy of my ID (that is my current valid Swedish passport, my only ID). The sticking point here is that they write "PASSPORT not attached", not "PASSPORT/ COPY of passport not attached".

I have an official confirmation of my name change; the problem is that it is in Swedish and getting it translated by a certified translator may cost almost as much as the actual application. I really think it should be enough to send the documents (in Sweden called "extract from the population register") with my particulars in my old as well as my new surname. A point of reference in all Swedish identity documents is the Swedish national identity number which never changes despite any name changes. It can be easily checked with any Swedish authority in the world. To be sure, maybe I should contact the enbassy at which I had my citizenship ceremony and where I received my certificate (the embassy in Oslo)?

When it comes to section 2, it says that I HAVE to complete it as a first time applicant.

I would actually like to go to the UK to go to the IPS and submit my application, it would cost me less. But then I also need to have an interview;- does anyone here know how long it takes before one gets an interview, approximately?

/Magnus