british passports

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:19 am
Just Joined

ausmelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Question british passports

hey all travelers,

just a quick question regarding passports.
both my parents are both british(born and raised) that entitles me to a british passport is that right?

ive printed the form C1 application on UK passport. but it doesnt mention sending my birth cert over or anything. and i just wanna check that.

thanks all

Melly from sunny Aus
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: british passports

Originally Posted by ausmelly
hey all travelers,

just a quick question regarding passports.
both my parents are both british(born and raised) that entitles me to a british passport is that right?

ive printed the form C1 application on UK passport. but it doesnt mention sending my birth cert over or anything. and i just wanna check that.
Normally yes. When were you born and were your parents married?

They will need to see your birth certificate, plus parents', plus their marriage certificate. You will also need to show good proof of ID.

You may find the wiki article useful:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Obtain...ports_overseas
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Td0t will become famous soon enoughTd0t will become famous soon enough

Hey Ausmelly,

I've recently submitted my first-time application for a British Passport. I found the information on the High Commission's website to be the most clear and helpful. It gives you a list of all the required documentation. It also has a document checklist that you should send with your C1 application.

http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/p...me-applicants/

Note: Your claim to British citizenship need only come from one parent. If you were born before 1983, you have to send your father's birth certificate, British Passport, and marriage certificate. If you were born after Jan 1, 1983 then you can use your mother's documents. You don't need to send both your parents' documents.

Last edited by Td0t; Dec 4th 2008 at 6:15 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Check thru the notes on your passport forms...it does say what is needed to apply for your passport..

I did just that for my 'british by descent' children, a few months ago...I applied in Ottawa Canada, and it took 9days. It is very clear about the photos as well. must be clear and free of watermarks or stamps...just a hand written etc on the back from your guarantor.

good luck
Old Dec 4th 2008, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

I wish I could have applied in Ottawa. I was waiting on the replacement of my father's registration to arrive from the National Archive. It arrived a week before I was booked to leave on holiday, and you have to be in Canada during the process. By the time I got back, passport production had moved from Ottawa to the US.

I've read of delays due to a backlog and staff shortages. Who knows when I'll get it now.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Td0t
I wish I could have applied in Ottawa. I was waiting on the replacement of my father's registration to arrive from the National Archive. It arrived a week before I was booked to leave on holiday, and you have to be in Canada during the process.
You do not have to remain in Canada for the process, if you also have a Canadian passport.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

alan321 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
You do not have to remain in Canada for the process, if you also have a Canadian passport.
Usually the British Embassy want you to send it your forgien passport which makes it impossible to leave the country of appliction before a Passport is issued.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Since they've moved passport production to the US, the instructions are to send a copy of the identification page of your current passport. I thought you had to remain in the county of application until the process is complete, but maybe I misunderstood.