British Overseas Citizen

Old Apr 24th 2019, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Bail234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Overseas Citizen

Hi all

My husband of 21 years and I are Australian Citizens and I am also a British Citizen by descent. My husband also holds a British Passport but is a British Overseas Citizen, he was born in Zambia in the 70s. There may be a job opportunity in the UK. My question is if we apply for a spouse visa, I have read that for BOC, one of the privileges is that they are not subject to annual quotas nor sponsership? Does anyone know what this would mean, if anything in terms of a sponsored spouse visa...TIA
Old Apr 24th 2019, 3:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Overseas Citizen

Just to clarify, your British passport states you are a British Citizen but your husband’s states he is a British Overseas Citizen and you both hold Australian passports?
Old Apr 24th 2019, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Just to clarify, your British passport states you are a British Citizen but your husband’s states he is a British Overseas Citizen and you both hold Australian passports?
Hi BritinParis

Yes that's right. My mother was born in the UK and he was born in Zambia, no English born parents or grandparents.

Old Apr 24th 2019, 7:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bail234
Hi BritinParis

Yes that's right. My mother was born in the UK and he was born in Zambia, no English born parents or grandparents.
Did you register as a British citizen?
Old Apr 24th 2019, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi yes lived in the UK for a few years
Old Apr 24th 2019, 9:01 pm

Hi yes lived in the UK for a few years
What’s the date and section on your certificate?
Old Apr 25th 2019, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Hi I am at work, will check later but I know it's NOT 6 (1), full history is I was born in South Africa, went over to the UK on an ancestry visa,then when the law changed that I could apply for citizenship based on mother's birth I got UK citizenship (2005, I think)thus changing my husband and children from ancestry to temp, and we moved to Australia in 2008. In hindsight should have stayed on Ancestry and then naturalised and then we would all have UK passports ? We lived in the UK for 6 years in total from 2002 to 2008. At the momment just researching our opitions, thanks for your help
Old Apr 26th 2019, 5:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
What’s the date and section on your certificate?
Section 4C April 2005
Old Apr 26th 2019, 8:18 am

Hi I am at work, will check later but I know it's NOT 6 (1), full history is I was born in South Africa, went over to the UK on an ancestry visa,then when the law changed that I could apply for citizenship based on mother's birth I got UK citizenship (2005, I think)thus changing my husband and children from ancestry to temp, and we moved to Australia in 2008. In hindsight should have stayed on Ancestry and then naturalised and then we would all have UK passports ? We lived in the UK for 6 years in total from 2002 to 2008. At the momment just researching our opitions, thanks for your help
Section 4C April 2005
Yes, the smartest thing to do would be for you all to have stayed on the UK Ancestry visas until you gained ILR. Then you could have registered under S.4C and your husband and children could’ve naturalised and registered respectively directly afterwards.

As it stands you’ll likely need to sponsor your husband for a spouse visa.