british national question on passport application

Old May 27th 2014, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Question british national question on passport application

Okay. IF I'M READING THIS CORRECTLY - British by Descent is considered a British National for that checkbox, right? I don't want to mess this up as it will already probably take a 2-3 months and if I make a mistake.. ugh.

Help?
Old May 27th 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Default Re: british national question on passport application

Also, if I send them my Canadian passport (as requested) they will send it back to me unscathed, correct? It's still a valid passport and I'd like to keep it in working order (uncut). Anyone know?
Old May 27th 2014, 9:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

1. All British citizens are British nationals; (reverse is not always the case); and
2. You don't have to send them your Canadian passport. They should normally accept a copy of the ID page.
Old May 27th 2014, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Okay, kinda time pressed, so forget it, I filled out that I was because according to what I understand it saying, a brit by descent IS a british national. If I'm wrong, well, I guess moving is over... as I doubt a mistake that big would be accepted. From what it sounds like, it's pretty tough to get an appeal on a rejected application. Shame they don't write more clearly - I know to them it sounds clear, but it's nerve-wracking to try to extrapolate from their five word sentence if your situation really and truly applies. *deep breaths* now to find a counter signatory... hoping the pastor holds a passport.

Thanks!
Old May 27th 2014, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, cross post. Good to know though! Thanks!!!
Old May 27th 2014, 9:39 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
Sorry, cross post. Good to know though! Thanks!!!
Please take note of the fact that you do NOT have to send your Canadian passport as JAJ said
Old May 27th 2014, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

But if I don't - they could still request the original. AND I have to take a full colour copy of ALL the pages in the passport to send to them (and they kind of strongly encourage you to send the original) I want NO reasons for refusal of my passport application. My Hunny's Canadian passport has expired, so he's going to apply for that first, should take a couple of weeks, then apply for the British one, but he was born in the UK, so I imagine it'll take a little less time "assessing" his than mine. I'm thinking now that maybe we should apply for them all right off... we were going to wait till mine was approved, but if the 10 week thing is accurate, we might not have time to apply for the others before having to move!! At least the ones for the kids will be cheaper.
Old May 31st 2014, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Markie is an unknown quantity at this point

But if I don't - they could still request the original. AND I have to take a full colour copy of ALL the pages in the passport to send to them (and they kind of strongly encourage you to send the original) I want NO reasons for refusal of my passport application. My Hunny's Canadian passport has expired, so he's going to apply for that first, should take a couple of weeks, then apply for the British one, but he was born in the UK, so I imagine it'll take a little less time "assessing" his than mine. I'm thinking now that maybe we should apply for them all right off... we were going to wait till mine was approved, but if the 10 week thing is accurate, we might not have time to apply for the others before having to move!! At least the ones for the kids will be cheaper.
Yes, apply for them all. Also, make sure you get a copy of the ID page of your countersignatory's passport, that part isn't totally clear.
Old May 31st 2014, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, we actually caught that one... Pictures taken, signed tomorrow, couriered on Monday... It's moving along! Then the Great Big Wait.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 12:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

But if I don't - they could still request the original. AND I have to take a full colour copy of ALL the pages in the passport to send to them (and they kind of strongly encourage you to send the original) I want NO reasons for refusal of my passport application.
It's not a good idea to send Canadian passport, and they will in general accept a photocopy of the ID page.

But in the end it's a risk-based decision. We've never heard of anyone having a problem due to not sending a foreign passport (which is obvious, because it's irrelevant to eligibility), so the chance of any problem has to be less than 1%.

Balance that against the 100% risk that you will be without your passport for a period of time, including an 80% chance that it will be a few months, and hence you will be unable to travel anywhere in the meantime. Unless you have an Enhanced Drivers License or other land-border document and only want to visit the U.S.

Also consider the risk, low but not zero, that if you send your Canadian passport it will be lost and you will have to replace it.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Weare sending them in, my husband's is expired, and mine is expiring in December, so oth need to be renewed anyhow... No biggie if they lose it HOWEVER, we are spending the extra to courier it to them requiring a signature for receipt... And have paid the fee to get our documents couriered back to us. Some of this is going to have to be on faith. we have no plans of heading stateside anytime this summer... Canada has enough to offer to keep us occupied.

Thanks for the good counsel!