British expat children living in EU

Old Mar 16th 2021, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

FatimaAkram is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British expat children living in EU

Hello,

I am british born but living with my dutch husband in The Netherlands since 2010.

My question is that i have 2 children..
My son age 8, born in the UK has a british passport and birth certificate.
My daughter age 7, born in The Netherlands has a british passport but dutch birth certificate.

Do my children both automatically have british citizenship and rights?
And the right to freely move back to the UK in the future if they decide to?
For further education will they need to pay home fees or international fees?

Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 16th 2021, 10:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expat children living in EU

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Depends.
Old Mar 16th 2021, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Depends on?
Old Mar 16th 2021, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FatimaAkram
Depends on?

The general rule is if students have lived in UK for 3 years immediately prior to entering University, they pay resident fees; if they have not lived in UK for 3 years they pay International fees.
However, some Universities waive these rules. ..... you'll have to contact the specific University.
Old Mar 16th 2021, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Can it be any 3 consecutive years of their childhood?

Thank you for your help
Old Mar 17th 2021, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FatimaAkram
Can it be any 3 consecutive years of their childhood?

Thank you for your help
No - the three years before they go to university. So either need to move back to UK for the last few years of education, or after finishing school in Netherlands move to UK for three years and work, then be a slightly older student
Old Mar 22nd 2021, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

dean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to beholddean350 is a splendid one to behold

Yes and watch out for the Student Loans Company who are strict on not giving loans without the 3 years residency prior to the course starting.
Old Apr 28th 2021, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

Wisewinston is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on whether you have been living in the UK in the years prior to them starting university. The fee regime depend on residency, not citizenship. I worked in an international school and we used to lose loads of kids at age 15 as their parents moved back to the UK in order to qualify. But also, by the time your kids get to going to university the rules may have changed all over again.