British by descent

Old Mar 4th 2018, 4:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British by descent

Originally Posted by BritLionHeart
I'm not sure that I entirely agree with your point of view. From a practical standpoint regarding multiple or hundreds of generations, yes I would agree with you somewhat, however I was only referring to British citizens by descent passing their citizenship onto their overseas born children. Other European countries such as Ireland and/or Italy seem to have no problem with this.

I wasn't referring to anything unrestricted. Many British naturalised citizens for instance still keep their original citizenship with their birth country. It doesn't necessarily mean they see themselves or their family as being completely 'British' as they have no ancestral roots or cultural ties to the United Kingdom, whereas my British ancestry in comparison goes back many hundreds of years.

I personally do not have a problem providing evidence of an uninterrupted period of living in the UK for 3 years, however I do feel the need to protest this as I find it completely unnecessary that I have to "prove" myself worthy as a British citizen of passing my citizenship onto my children simply because I was born abroad, and do so willing to satisfy bureaucrats in the Home Office and keep them dutifully employed. ....
I now have no idea what you want, you complain that the ability to pass on British citizenship is restricted, but don't want it unrestricted.

I think you are just bitter that the dividing line is inconvenient for you! Therefore my advice therefore would be "get over it!"
Old Mar 4th 2018, 4:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't necessarily mean they see themselves or their family as being completely 'British' as they have no ancestral roots or cultural ties to the United Kingdom, whereas my British ancestry in comparison goes back many hundreds of years.
My French ancestry goes back hundreds of year, I wouldn't expect a French passport though having never lived there myself. Your comment above reminds me of Americans that think of themselves as 'Irish' or 'Italian' when only their grandparents came from there and they themselves have never even visited.

I personally do not have a problem providing evidence of an uninterrupted period of living in the UK for 3 years, however I do feel the need to protest this as I find it completely unnecessary that I have to "prove" myself worthy as a British citizen of passing my citizenship onto my children simply because I was born abroad, and do so willing to satisfy bureaucrats in the Home Office and keep them dutifully employed.
It's not because you were born abroad though is it? It's because you've never lived in the UK - if you had done to meet the requirements, you'd be able to pass citizenship on no problem, regardless of where you were born.

Where are you from/where were you born out of interest?
Old Mar 4th 2018, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

BritLionHeart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I would imagine the same proportion of the Canadian, Australian, and NZ population has some British ancestry, and undoubtedly there are tens of millions more scattered across all the former countries of the British Empire, not to mention British trading centers in countries such as Argentina, Turkey, China, and Moscow/ Russia.
Why is it no one questions how it is that British naturalised citizens (some of whom are people of colour from the former colonies like Pakistan, India and/or Hong Kong) are perfectly entitled to automatically pass their citizenship onto their overseas born children without question? Some of these children it could be argued may never set foot in the UK or simply refuse to develop any cultural ties to the country itself that their parent got naturalised in?

Is it simply because it's considered racist or politically incorrect to ask this question?

Obviously to know this, one would have to have a crystal ball to see into the future to determine whether or not this overseas born child whose naturalised British parent has any intention of returning to the UK with their family, yet their children are entitled to British citizenship whereas a British citizen by descent (like myself) isn't granted that right.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I now have no idea what you want, you complain that the ability to pass on British citizenship is restricted, but don't want it unrestricted.

I think you are just bitter that the dividing line is inconvenient for you! Therefore my advice therefore would be "get over it!"
You're having fun, aren't you? Have fun with the migrants who have no British background and refuse to integrate into British society. They and their children will have citizenship within 5 years or less and they have no respect to Great Britain or it's cultural roots and foundations.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 4:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it no one questions how it is that British naturalised citizens (some of whom are people of colour from the former colonies like Pakistan, India and/or Hong Kong) are perfectly entitled to automatically pass their citizenship onto their overseas born children without question? Some of these children it could be argued may never set foot in the UK or simply refuse to develop any cultural ties to the country itself that their parent got naturalised in?

Is it simply because it's considered racist or politically incorrect to ask this question?
No, what's considered 'racist or politically incorrect' is calling people 'people of colour'. Jeez. The mind boggles, it really does.

I couldn't give a flying whatsit what colour they are, they can be purple with pink spots for all I care. The fact that they've lived in the UK long enough to naturalise means the chances are they've actually been part of the community and contributed to society, unlike those that have never lived there. So seems fair enough to me that they can pass their citizenship on.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's not because you were born abroad though is it?
Actually it is. Read the British nationality Act.

It's because you've never lived in the UK - if you had done to meet the requirements, you'd be able to pass citizenship on no problem, regardless of where you were born.
I have lived in the UK. The problem is providing evidence that's sufficient and acceptable for the Home Office.

Where are you from/where were you born out of interest?
You are most unhelpful. It does not matter where I was born, I've already explained I am a British citizen by descent (because I was born abroad to a British parent) under the definition of the British Nationality Act and if you understood your own laws, you wouldn't need to ask.

If you have nothing nice to say, best to say nothing at all. I will not respond to you again. Entertain yourself elsewhere.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 4:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it is. Read the British nationality Act.

I have lived in the UK. The problem is providing evidence that's sufficient and acceptable for the Home Office.

You are most unhelpful. It does not matter where I was born, I've already explained I am a British citizen by descent (because I was born abroad to a British parent) under the definition of the British Nationality Act and if you understood your own laws, you wouldn't need to ask.

If you have nothing nice to say, best to say nothing at all. I will not respond to you again. Entertain yourself elsewhere.
Hey...steady on tiger. She was not being unhelpful at all. I realise you don’t like it...but as you say you are a UK citizen by descent and therefore cannot pass UK citizenship on to your children. That’s UK law.

If you wish to discuss immigrants qualifying for citizenship...I suggest you open a thread in TIO as this is not the forum to do so.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/

I think it’s time to put this thread to bed. Thread closed.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 4th 2018 at 4:37 pm. Reason: Add url