British by Descent?

Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:07 am
Just Joined

bymby23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post British by Descent?

Hi All,

Just a question about obtaining a UK Passport - I have applied at the start of the week for a UK Passport though just wanted to double check what my chances of it being approved are as from what I've heard it shouldn't be a problem though feeling a bit nervous about it?

Background story: I was born in Aus in 1987 to an Australian mother and British born father who at the time of my birth was Aus citizen though held Aus and British passports and they were married before I was born. We also travelled over to England for 8 months when I was 10 years old though I had an Aus passport then and we came back because my mum was homesick otherwise we would have ended up living there Both parents and myself are currently living in Aus, am I still eligible for a British passport based on the fact my father was born there?

Thanks
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British by Descent?

If your father was a British Citizen by birth and not by descent then I think you qualify for a passport.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think so too. But if you don't get more certain responses might be worth asking moderator to move the thread. Most of us that read this area are British trying to get Australian visa and don't know much about it the other way.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bymby23
Hi All,

Just a question about obtaining a UK Passport - I have applied at the start of the week for a UK Passport though just wanted to double check what my chances of it being approved are as from what I've heard it shouldn't be a problem though feeling a bit nervous about it?

Background story: I was born in Aus in 1987 to an Australian mother and British born father who at the time of my birth was Aus citizen though held Aus and British passports and they were married before I was born. We also travelled over to England for 8 months when I was 10 years old though I had an Aus passport then and we came back because my mum was homesick otherwise we would have ended up living there Both parents and myself are currently living in Aus, am I still eligible for a British passport based on the fact my father was born there?

Thanks
I would think the place to ask would be British Immigration. Check the Home Office web site for eligibilty for a passport.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I would think the place to ask would be British Immigration. Check the Home Office web site for eligibilty for a passport.
I have phoned them twice about it and both times I was told they couldn't tell me yes or no and I would just have to apply and find out (it cost me $300 to apply for too so I really hope it does eeep!)
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

A long time ago I had a baby (my son)in Oz.Both his father and I are british.We had however split before my son was born and I gave up my son at birth for adoption.(My son is now 27).His adoptive parents were both british.Years later my son and I made contact and he asked me if I would help him obtain a british passport,which I gladly did.Apparently his adoptive parents were not able to do this,and it had to come from his biological mum(me).Also his biological father,even though british himself,also did'nt count towards the passport.It just went on my nationality which I though was quite strange!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

I was born in Aus in 1987 to an Australian mother and British born father.
Since you were borne after 1983 AND if you father wasn't himself British-by-descent - then you'll be fine.

You can read all about it here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Location: Hampshire - Brisbane - Staffordshire and soon Devon :)
SouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud ofSouthernGal_67 has much to be proud of

My partner applied for his British passport 3 weeks ago (born in Aus from British parents) and it arrived yesterday. In a small number of cases they ask you to go for an interview at the Embassy, but apparently it's not done often.

Good luck
Old Nov 27th 2009, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your replies I'll keep my fingers crossed in the meantime!!!!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:26 am
Just Joined

yay found out my passport has been approved!!!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!!!
Old Dec 18th 2009, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Jahu is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats!!!